2. Firefighters battled the 10-alarm blaze for hours and the Seaside Park police chief declared a state of emergency, according to WABC.
3. The smoke plume quickly grew to be HUGE.
4. Gov. Chris Christie said 400 firefighters were battling the blaze, including 35 engine and 15 ladder companies. He said the rapid spread of the fire was due to high winds.
Christie said when he first heard about the boardwalk fire, “I said to my staff, I feel like I want to throw up.”
6. From the air, the fire appears to cover at least four blocks of the boardwalk.
7. Seaside Park’s boardwalk survived Hurricane Sandy, but underwent extensive repair this past year.
- Authorities are removing Dakota Access pipeline protesters blocking roads and camped on private property.
- Apple just unveiled lighter, thinner MacBooks with touch-sensitive panels for instant emoji access (and other uses) 💻✨
- A Trump official says the campaign has "three major voter suppression operations underway."
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀