2. Firefighters battled the 10-alarm blaze for hours and the Seaside Park police chief declared a state of emergency, according to WABC.
3. The smoke plume quickly grew to be HUGE.
4. Gov. Chris Christie said 400 firefighters were battling the blaze, including 35 engine and 15 ladder companies. He said the rapid spread of the fire was due to high winds.
Christie said when he first heard about the boardwalk fire, “I said to my staff, I feel like I want to throw up.”
6. From the air, the fire appears to cover at least four blocks of the boardwalk.
7. Seaside Park’s boardwalk survived Hurricane Sandy, but underwent extensive repair this past year.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- The UK Supreme Court ruled that it's legal for the government to keep couples apart because of their income.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏