1. Uruguayan soccer player Luis Suárez posted this apology Monday for the biting incident that occurred during the Italy vs. Uruguay World Cup match last week:
3. A transcript of the tweet, where Suárez says “Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me”:
After several days of being home with my family, I have had the opportunity to regain my calm and reflect about the reality of what occurred during the Italy-Uruguay match on 24 June 2014. Independent from the fallout and the contradicting declarations that have surfaced during these past days, all of which have been without the intention of interfering with the good performance of my national team, the truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.
1.I deeply regret what occurred.
2.I apologize to Giorgio Chiellini and the entire football family.
3.I vow to the public that there will never again be another incident like this involving me.
In Montevideo, on 30th june 2014.
4. Following the incident, FIFA announced that Suarez would be suspended for nine matches and not allowed to participate in any football related activity for four months.
5. Italy’s Chiellini showing the apparent bite marks after Suarez bit him in the 80th minute of the group-stage match.
6. Chiellini tweeted Monday that he accepts Suarez’s apology
7. Uruguay, playing without Suarez, was eliminated from the World Cup in the round of 16 by Colombia on Saturday.
- DNA techniques from human criminal investigations are being used on black bears and can now reveal whether a bear is innocent.
- Explorers have discovered the world's deepest known underwater cave in the Czech Republic, with a depth of at least 1,325 feet.