1. UPDATE: Investigators believe Rakes was murdered over a land deal gone bad.
JUST IN: death of former alleged #Bulger extortion victim Steven Rakes, thought to be murder - unconnected to Whitey case.
correction: Rakes was OWED money, allegedly poisoned by debtor with a cyanide-laced McDonalds iced coffee. Suspect in court later today.
A Sudbury man, William Camuti, faces attempted murder charges in Rakes death. Owed Rakes $ over a land deal, it sounds like….
Prosecutors say Camuti put cyanide in Rakes’ Mcdonald’s iced coffee (!), drove him around until he died, and dumped his body.
5. A body found early Thursday on a trail in Lincoln, Mass., is believed to be Stephen Rakes, an alleged extortion victim who wanted to testify against Whitey Bulger, ABC News reports.
14. Rakes reportedly lived in constant fear of Bulger and Flemmi for 17 years, saying they were “willing to kill anybody.” Rakes was so convinced the duo was stalking him that he once ran into a Boston subway tunnel, suffering electrical shocks as he fled.
Whitey Bulger in a photo shown in court.
- Over two dozen people were injured after a truck crashed into a crowd at a Mardi Gras parade, New Orleans police said.
- President Trump said he will skip the White House correspondents' dinner. On Friday, he called the media "the enemy of the people."
- Moderate to severe coral bleaching continues to affect the Great Barrier Reef almost a year after the worst bleaching crisis in history.
- Here's the beef: Rapper Remy Ma dragged Nicki Minaj in a new diss track, and she fired back with a Beyoncé endorsement 😱