1. Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez appeared in Fall River, Mass., court Friday and entered not guilty plea to first-degree murder and five weapons charges.
Hernandez is charged with the killing of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.
Both the prosecution and defense agreed that Hernandez would continue to be held without bail until a later hearing when the topic would be revisited. Hernandez’s next court date was scheduled for Oct. 9.
- Churches across the US are prepping an underground railroad system for immigrants who fear deportation under Trump.
- Tom Perez has been named chair of the Democratic National Committee. He was Obama's Labor Secretary.
- At a rally in NYC, trans New Yorkers asked for support from the broader LGBT community — something they haven't always gotten.
- Barack Obama took Malia to see a Broadway show and everyone is talking about how refreshed he's looking 😎