12 Makeup Myths Everyone Really, Really Needs To Stop Believing
Time to burst all those bubbles.
1. You only need to throw out your mascara when it starts to get clumpy.
2. And pumping your mascara wand gets rid of clumps.
3. It's totally fine to sleep with your makeup on.
4. Makeup causes breakouts and acne.
5. Makeup doesn't expire – it's good to use until it's finished.
6. You don't need to wash your brushes if you use them only on yourself.
7. Makeup doesn't get dirty, only brushes do.
The scary reality is that makeup can go bad before its expiration date if you don't take care of it. Bacteria thrive in dark, warm places so makeup, particularly liquid products, is an ideal place for them. This, in conjunction with ineffective cleaning of tools like brushes, means that bacteria can grow faster than you'd expect.
8. It's A-OK to wear waterproof mascara all the time.
9. Moisturisers work as face primers.
10. You can match your foundation to your wrist.
11. You should definitely apply concealer before your foundation.
12. And not everyone can wear red lipstick.
This is 110% false. As cliché as it sounds, there is a red for everyone. It's really all about figuring out your undertone – cool, neutral, or warm. Each skin tone is different, and therefore no one single shade of red will suit every person. It is said that blue-reds suit cooler tones, and orange-reds are for warmer tones, with neutral tones falling between the two. Also, your hair and eye colours can affect what type of red lip suits you best.