Hydration is always important in our everyday lives — but it's especially key as it relates to working out.
So to get some inspiration on what to drink before or after workouts, we asked pros — including fitness instructors, athletes, and registered dietitians — what they reach for when they need a pre-workout or post-workout beverage.
But first: It's important to note that everyone's needs and wants are different, and there's no such thing as one-size-fits-all food or drink workout fuel or hydration. (Except for, of course, water!) Still, if you're looking to switch things up — or if you're just curious as to what others reach for — we hope this list is helpful.
1. Kale Smoothie: For a simple, five-ingredient classic that packs veggies, fruits, and nut butter — and is vegan-friendly.
2. Strawberry, Mango, and Peanut Butter Smoothie: For a fruit-forward option that blends nicely with your powder of choice.
3. Turmeric Sweet Potato Latte: For a creamy, caffeine-optional pick that has plenty of fiber and vitamin A, thanks to the sweet potato.
4. Drinkable Yogurt with Fruit: For a fast, fiber-packed treat that doesn't require you to mess with a blender.
5. Ginger Turmeric Smoothie Recipe with Mango: For a sweet, satisfying, and slightly spicy pick-me-up.
6. Spiced Blueberry and Chia Seed Smoothie: For a sweet and spicy blend that mixes fruit, nut butter, and add-ins like cinnamon and ginger.
7. Peanut Butter, Cocoa Power, and Fruit Shake: For a gorgeously hued option that you can customize as you see fit.
8. Cherry Cheesecake Smoothie Bowl: For a fruit-fueled option that you can drink as a smoothie or eat as a bowl.
Note: Some responses have been lightly edited for length and/or clarity.