Bartenders Are Revealing The Drinks They Legitimately Hate Making, And I'm Surprised By Some
"To me it says, 'I just turned 21, so I'm gonna get super wasted and not tip at all.'"
It's hard being a bartender. The customers can get sloppy, the drink recipes can be complex, and the environment can be hard to work in. Redditor u/Muthachucka asked, "Bartenders of Reddit: What drink makes you hate the person ordering it?" and bartenders came through. Read on for tips on how to be a better customer as bars open up again!
1. "I'm a bartender in Ireland, and people ordering Guinness can be really annoying. Some want the head (the foam on top of beer) on it large. Other want it micro thin. Some people want it topped immediately, some want you to wait, and a few demand you wait up to five minutes. Older drinkers demand the old standard glass, while new drinkers like the new ones with the harp design."
2. "There's a drink that's literally called the 'pain in the ass.' It's half frozen piña colada and half frozen rum runner. Making that drink requires you to make two different frozen drinks at half-recipe portions, and then pour both into the glass simultaneously."
"The worst part of making that drink is that they're only ever ordered by people in the biz who think it's funny to order them."
3. "Mojitos. I will never in all my days forgive the person who ordered 20 mojitos 10 minutes before the end of a really busy night. My wrist aches just thinking about it."
4. "The mojito effect. You make one pair of customers mojitos, two others see them and order them, and then a group of four, and so on. And suddenly you’ve spent a half hour muddling fresh mint and nothing else is getting done."
5. "Any drink they order after waiting to be served for 10 minutes on a busy night but don't know what they want to order yet. My favorite was, 'I'll have, errrr...hey, Dave, what are you having?' Thirty seconds later, he's still shouting over to his mates."
6. "At our bar, we have this drink called unicorn juice that's basically five different types of syrup with a shot of rum that are layered to look like a rainbow. Such a bitch to make and so expensive for only one shot of alcohol."
7. "I don't care what they drink, but anyone who snaps their fingers to get your attention is going to be a disaster."
8. "I hate the 'One shot, please! (What kind of shot?) Oh, I don't know, just anything!' person. It might seem like a really easy order, but it's not, since you can easily mess up in the customer's eyes. Either the drink is too sweet, too strong, expensive, etc. Just think of a shot and order it!"
9. "An AMF (adios, motherfucker). To me it says, 'I just turned 21, so I'm gonna get super wasted, spray blue vomit everywhere, and not tip at all.'"
10. "A double vodka and Red Bull. This is not a drink that is hard to make, but it is designed to get you shitfaced. So when it’s the first drink someone orders, I know I’m in for a rough night with them."
11. "Worked in a somewhat nicer college bar for over two years, but we didn't get a ton of fancy drink orders most nights anyway. The one that always made me laugh was when anyone ordered well whiskey, neat or on the rocks. Being a college bar, that stuff was about as cheap as you can find, and it definitely wasn't sipping whiskey."
13. "People who order martinis not knowing what they are and make faces at the taste of gin."
14. "Only hot drinks irk me. I'm usually behind the bar alone trying to get drink after drink out, and making hot drinks just crushes my rhythm, it doesn't make much money, and it takes quite a bit of time."
"Admittedly it's partially because my coffee machine sucks and it's shoved away, half behind a corner; might not be so bad if I could just push a button and let it get on with it."
15. "Any shot that is served layered when it's super busy. If it's not busy, then it's kinda fun."
16. "I'm fine with making complicated craft cocktails, but if, after four minutes of shaving nutmeg and plucking mint leaves, I serve you your drink and your indecisive friend just goes, 'Oh, that looks good, I'll have one of those,' then FUCK YOU, CRAIG."
"I could have made two of these in the same shaker at the same time, but now I have to do this shit all over again and I'm five tickets deep, and the servers are getting pissed at me."
19. "Ordering a Bloody Mary at night when the bar is slammed will for sure piss your bartender off 10/10 times. You better tip extra."
20. "Anything that involves the blender. Go to a gas station and get a damn Slurpee. I'll throw a shot of rum in for you."
21. "Someone who orders drinks one at a time instead of giving you the whole order, then orders a pint of Guinness last."
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.