1. Children make up half of all refugees from the Syria conflict.
Syrian refugees Najib and his brother Mohammed play on a swing in an informal settlement outside of Sidon, Lebanon.
2. Latest figures show that some 740,000 Syrian child refugees are under the age of 11.
A young Syrian refugee girl slowly makes her way across a pipe over a pile of rubbish in an informal settlement in Fayda outside of Zahle, Lebanon. The municipality is generally responsible for picking up the rubbish, but the settlements in Fayda are difficult to reach and so residents there burn their trash or throw it in a ditch, which increases the likelihood of diseases spreading.
3. More than 3,500 children in Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq have crossed Syria’s borders either unaccompanied or separated from their families.
A young Syrian boy carries his bag over the border into Jordan.
4. UNHCR and UNICEF estimate that more than 2 million children have been internally displaced within Syria.
Young Syrian refugees, Aysha, 11, and Abdulqader, 6, look through the trash at a dumping site near their house. Their family pays their rent by gathering aluminum, plastics and other items from the trash and selling them to scrap dealers.
5. Inside Syria, according to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, some 7,000 children have been killed during the conflict.
Portrait of a young Syrian refugee taken in her mobile home in the Za’atari refugee camp in Jordan.
6. The story of 8 year-old Aya who is now in Bekaa Valley, Lebanon:
Aya: “I love and miss Syria. I used to play with my friends and my sister. I played with them a lot, on our bicycles. We played with our toys too.”
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 247 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- Brexit leader Nigel Farage drew parallels between British citizens' vote to leave the European Union and some Americans' support for Trump.
- WhatsApp will start sharing its users' phone numbers with parent company Facebook, which will mean you could see more targeted ads on Facebook 📲 👀