2. In December of 2015, people began using a photo of Mitchell on social media with the caption “Meth Curry,” and an unpleasant meme was born.
4. The memes were rampant on social media, but they flourished on Twitter especially.
5. Mitchell told BuzzFeed that when he found out about the meme, he described his feeling as being “a little bit embarrassing, humiliating, and a bit hurtful at the same time.”
He continued: “I’ve struggled for years and still do from time to time with my outward physical appearance. I was confused as to how it even made its way onto the internet honestly.”
6. After finding out, Mitchell took to Instagram to post a heartfelt message.
The text reads: “So earlier today I was the butt of a not-so-funny meme — ‘Meth Curry.’ Directed at the outward physical appearance that I display. The fact that the meme was posted was a reminder of how distasteful and cruel people can be without background knowledge of the person in the bullseye of the target. I’ve struggled deeply for years with the devastating effects cancer treatment plagued my body with. The massive destruction it took on my neck, shoulders, nose, throat, and ability to function normally… I am more then a meme, I am a father, husband, survivor, mentor, community advocate, and Positive motivational speaker. Proud to have endured and conquered everything I have!”
7. Since his Instagram post, Mitchell has received support from people warning others about sharing photos on social media without context.
9. Rapper Fabolous shared Mitchell’s Instagram post on his Facebook page.
10. “The thing that I think is most important to tell people (is that) the effects these types of things can have on a person is monumental!” Mitchell told Buzzfeed.
“It’s very easy to post something with no prior knowledge or understanding about someone or something for laughs but at the expense of who and what?? We have to learn more empathy, compassion, and kindness honestly.”
- Donald Trump said that his comments about Sweden were referring to a Fox News segment, not an actual incident in the country 🇸🇪🙃
- The CEO of Uber is investigating sexism and sexual harassment claims after a former employee said her reports were ignored.
- Geologists say they've discovered an eighth continent beneath New Zealand. "Zealandia" is 94% submerged underwater 🔎🌍
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat and the exchange was ~confusing~.