Let’s face it: Trans folks are super talented. So it’s not surprising that people want to watch us, whether on TV, on the big screen, or on the Internet, because we make for awesome on-screen moments. This year, we’ve seen trans people do some pretty extraordinary and heartwarming things.
1. Like that time a transgender girl finally got her first dose of hormones…
3. There was also Laura Jane Grace palling around with Miley Cyrus and Joan Jett while singing a cover of The Replacements’ “Androgynous”…
“She’s happy with the way she looks / She’s happy with her gender.”
5. We also saw trans people talk about their friendships, like when Janet Mock sat down with Oprah to talk about her life and her friend Wendi.
“At the age of twelve I was given the gift of having a best friend who saw me.”
7. It’s also been a year when we’ve continued to educate people on trans issues, whether it’s a group of friends putting together a video about what it’s like to be trans…
8. … or an agender advocate getting interviewed about what it means to be non-binary.
(“Look, they / them / their, it’s not that hard. Just use the pronouns!”)
9. Then Laverne Cox taught us all how to work it for a good cause when she did a stunning number for this year’s Broadway Bares AIDS benefit…
10. …and a trans guy showed us what hormonal transition is like when he posted a video of himself with a selfie every day from the time he started hormones until three years after.
11. We also had our political moments, like when Jennicet Gutiérrez interrupted the President at the White House…
13. …like Shagasiya Diamond, a black trans performer and advocate who Fusion profiled as she tries to get back on her feet after ten years behind bars.
14. There’s also Tiq Milan and his wife Kim going in on street harassment…
15. …which can particularly target trans women, as demonstrated in this powerful performance piece from Signe Pierce and Alli Coates.
17. …and YouTube sensation Gigi Gorgeous gave us her touching reaction.
18. Then Caitlyn came out with her own show that produced moments like this one, where noted author Jenny Boylan schooled her on the meaning of womanhood.
“You’ve gone through so much trouble to be a woman. Don’t be a stupid one. Be a smart one.”
19. Cait even got caught up in “transracial” Rachel Dolezal’s mess, and YouTube star Kat Blaque broke down why the two women are not the same.
Best line: “A traffic light is a social construct, but you’re going to be in quite the pickle if you run a red light into oncoming traffic.”
21. Speaking of mentors, here’s Jazz Jennings mentoring a young trans girl on her reality show I Am Jazz, while trans photographer Rhys Harper takes their picture…
23. There are times when trans people need guidance from cis people too, like this parent with her transgender child…
Overall it’s been a pretty cool year for transgender folks in the media. Here’s just one final thought from Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter), who isn’t technically one of us — but hey, isn’t being trans kinda like a superpower? Just remember:
- At least 29 people are dead and 166 hurt after explosions outside a stadium in Turkey, the country's interior minister said.
- Trump will reportedly pick ExxonMobil's CEO Rex Tillerson as secretary of state. He has a long history of oil deals with Russia.
- Gen. David Petraeus helped block the autopsy of an Afghan man who died mysteriously in US custody, emails show.
- "Saturday Night Live" revealed Donald Trump's newest pick to lead the Drug Enforcement Agency: Walter White.