You can never have too many simple (but useful!) life hacks, habits, and tips in your back pocket.
Recently, a popular Reddit thread highlighted some of the best ones that you can use in everyday life. Here are several:
1. Store natural peanut butter upside down so it won't separate as much.
2. If you put something down temporarily, say it out loud. ("I've put my phone on the dresser.")
"This engages many more areas of the brain (particularly the language centers) which creates a richer memory and makes it less likely you'll forget where you put it." —makestypos
"I'll also say it out loud when I turn off stove burners, blow out a candle, or unplug my hair straightener. I’ve found this helps me eliminate those moments where I leave the house or am in bed and I’m suddenly like, 'Did I leave that on?'" —plasticruester
3. Buy anything you need for the kitchen — plates, glasses, pans — from a kitchen supply store.
4. If you have a spare minute at home, always take a few seconds to just pet your dog or cat and really appreciate them.
"A phrase I heard somewhere has really stuck with me: Pets are only a part of your life but you are your pet’s entire life." —amanda30697
5. If you have trouble making a decision, flip a coin. While you're waiting to get the result, your mind automatically starts to wish for what it wants.
6. If you want to wear something white or light in color, wear underwear that matches the color of your skin, not white.
7. If you sit for several hours a day, find a simple routine to stretch out your hips and chest.
8. For the most reliable information on Amazon items, read the three- and four-star reviews.
9. Brush your teeth more thoroughly before bed after you are done eating and drinking for the day.
10. If there's a jar or container you can't open, run the lid under hot water for 30 seconds.
"Dry it so you can get a good grip, then open it. I've never had this not work." —zanoskee00
11. Sometimes changing your pillowcase daily can help with acne.
12. When you move into a new house or apartment, always set up your bedroom first — and make the bed.
"That way, when you're exhausted and have had enough, you can just fall into it. Nothing worse than being exhausted and having to make the bed before getting into it." —vlc31
13. Before you use an automatic flushing toilet, drape a bit of toilet paper over the motion sensor.
14. If a recipe calls for onions and garlic, don't put the garlic into the pan until the onion is nearly translucent.
"Garlic cooks way faster than onions do. If you throw them in at the same time, it won't taste as good and the garlic will burn. It literally takes 30 seconds for minced garlic to cook." —razwog
15. If you bring something to someone’s house that you don’t want to forget, put your car keys with it.
16. The easiest way to remove blood stains is to use bar soap and handwash it.
"And always use cold water, not hot. Hot water will set the stains." —motherofvampires
17. Remember that five minutes of daily exercise is infinitely better than zero minutes.
18. Don't start an apology with "I'm sorry if..."
"It conveys that you are not currently sorry for your actions, and that you might be sorry only under certain circumstances. It also removes most of the sincerity. If you know the circumstances, leave the "if" out and just identify what it is you feel bad about. If you don't know the circumstances, you probably aren't actually sorry." —spicylemon
19. Learn basic knife skills because they'll pay off in the long run.
20. Don't take criticism from someone you wouldn't take advice from.
21. Tell the people you love that you love them more often.
"You really never know what life is going to bring and what could happen in an instant. Tell those you love that you love them, appreciate them, and value them in your life. There isn't always a tomorrow to say sorry or I love you." —menecme