2. Slow cookers are the MVP of the kitchen.
That’s because nothing beats a weeknight meal that practically makes itself while you’re away at work or class for the day. This recipe — with its simple, 10-minute prep, and 10-hour cook time — is the perfect thing to toss in the Crock-Pot in the morning, and come home to at night.
Serve the spicy carnitas solo, over rice, piled onto nachos, or stuffed into tortillas with your favorite toppings. This version makes 6 to 8 servings, so you’ll have plenty of leftovers to last through the week. (Or longer, if you decide to freeze them.)
3. Here’s what you need to make the Crock-Pot carnitas:
(For exact amounts and the full recipe with video, jump to the bottom of the post.)
5. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, salt, and Sriracha:
6. And give it a mix. This is the rub for the pork:
8. Then ~shred away~:
9. At this point, it should pull apart pretty easily with two forks:
10. Grab your favorite toppings.
Like avocado, cilantro, salsa, and cheese….
12. Pile everything on warm tortillas:
13. Then feast!
14. Spicy Slow Cooker Carnitas Tacos
Recipe by Christine Byrne
Makes 6 to 8 servings. If you’re only feeding 2 people, you can freeze the leftovers in an airtight plastic container.
For the pork:
1 (2-lb) boneless, skinless pork shoulder
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. Sriracha
Kosher salt, to taste
For the Sriracha sour cream:
¼ cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. Sriracha
For the assembly and toppings:
Pico de gallo salsa
For the pork: If there’s a lot of fat on your pork shoulder, carefully cut most of it off with a sharp chef’s knife. Some fat is OK, but you don’t want too much.
Place the pork shoulder in a slow cooker. Combine the chili powder, Sriracha, and kosher salt in a small bowl, then rub the mixture all over the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 10 hours.
For the Sriracha sour cream: Stir together the sour cream and Sriracha in a small bowl.
For the assembly: Heat the tortillas in a large skillet over high heat for about 2 minutes per side, until they’re warm and a little bit browned in spots. Lay the meat in the tortillas and top with the Sriracha sour cream and other toppings of your choice.
Let leftover pork cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
17. For even more step-by-step dinners, click here.
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏