1. With a chef’s knife, cut off the top end of the onion.
2. Place the onion upside down with the root end pointing up. Cut the onion in half straight through the root.
3. Remove the onion skin.
4. Lay onion halves down on their flat sides.
5. Make 2 horizontal cuts making sure to not cut through the root end.
6. Then make 6–8 cuts downward making sure to leave the root intact.
7. Next, with the knife blade running parallel to the root end, make several cuts downward dicing the onion.
8. Discard the root end.