34 Skincare Products Reviewers Over 50 Swear By
Including a holy grail eye cream, a tightening face mask that'll make you look like a zombie (but in a good way), and more.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A tub of brightening, firming, and rejuvenating eye cream so you look vibrant and well-rested.
Promising review: "I have been using this daily for about eight months now. I am 60 years old. It reduced the puffiness and bags under my eyes. I am Sicilian and had dark circles. It has brightened up my eye area. I am very surprised as I have paid much more for eye creams that have done so much less. I recently had pre-cancerous cells removed at the bridge of my nose. After healing, I was left with a dark scar. The dermatologist told me that it would heal over time. Since I began to apply this eye cream, the mark has almost disappeared entirely. I shop constantly from Amazon. This is the first time that I have taken the time to write a review. That's how impressed I am with this product. If you decide to purchase this, you won't be sorry." —Lynda M.
Get it from Amazon for $29.99.
2. A powerful snail repair cream that'll brighten dull skin, fade discoloration, add plumpness. Snail mucin extract is a popular ingredient in K-beauty products and is rich in hyaluronic acid (hydrates) and glycolic acid (stimulates collagen production).
Promising review: "I'm 55 years old and my skin is a bit sensitive. I don't have a lot of wrinkles, but I'm definitely noticing a few more laugh lines and forehead crinkles than I had a few years ago! I've tried several moisturizers and have not been terribly impressed with any of them until now. This stuff really is great — incredibly hydrating without feeling greasy and it absorbs quickly. It feels great on my skin. In just a few short weeks, I definitely notice an improvement in my skin tone and fewer lines and wrinkles! Plus, the customer service is great. I had questions when I first received the product and got followup response immediately. I will definitely be ordering this product again. I use it in the evening and morning; no need for two different moisturizers. Very pleased!" —sbakey
Get it from Amazon for $17.95.
3. A multi-use skincare oil to help you wave bye bye to uneven skin, stretch marks, and acne scars. It helps your body retain moisture (see ya later, dry skin!) and absorbs into the skin fast so you won't feel greasy.
Psst! Bio-Oil contains retinol, which accelerates skin turnover but can make you more sensitive to the sun — so don't forget your sunscreen!
Promising review: "Bio-Oil is the BEST skin product on the market. I use it twice a day — morning and before I go to bed. Small lines have disappeared. My skin is very smooth and seems to glow. A doctor recommended this to one of my friends who told me about it. I have bought several bottles as gifts. Be patient. It will take a few months for you to see notice the changes. I am 71 years old. No one paid me to write this." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $8.89+ (available in three sizes).
4. A splurge-worthy and dermatologist-recommended Elta MD tinted sunscreen for folks with sensitive skin. Sun protection is important at any age (UV damage can speed up your skin's aging process), and this one will tick all your boxes: not greasy, free of fragrance, noncomedogenic, free of oil, and free of parabens.
5. A Schick Silk dermaplaning razor if you've found more stray hairs on your face as you've aged. This handy mini blade is great for trimming eyebrows, as well as removing unwanted facial hair, especially if you find handling tweezers tricky.
Promising review: "Just used this amazing little razor on my face for the first time and I am hooked! I am 58 years old and battle the peach fuzz especially on my lip and chin....this was super easy and effective! The exfoliation alone is fantastic! Grab some of these for your beauty arsenal!" —Cisami
Get a pack of three from Amazon for $4.99.
6. A cruelty-free brightening facial scrub because consistently exfoliating is just good skincare 101. A combo of sea kelp, lemon peel, French green clay, and Madonna lily can slough away the dry, flaky dead skin cells and de-gunk your pores to help reduce breakouts.
7. A refreshing Mario Badescu rosewater facial spray so you can start your skincare stash with something you basically can't use incorrectly. It revives and hydrates your skin anytime, anywhere, whether that's after a grueling workout or three hours on the couch.
8. A cruelty free vitamin C serum that'll give your skin a much-needed pick-me-up. Just listen to the 51,000+ people who gave it a 5-star review: this stuff brightens, softens, and dramatically fades hyperpigmentation.
Promising review: "This serum is just as amazing as everyone says it is. I am 67 years old, and I have light melasma on both of my cheekbones. I have done *everything* to get rid of it (microdermabrasion, other serums, clarisonic exfoliation, and on and on ad nauseam). I wear SPF 50–70 on my face 365 days a year, and I've done that for decades. I also drink a lot of water. It looked as good as it was going to get. Now, my skin looks even better, and the melasma has never been lighter. Overall, my skin tone just looks very even and smooth. Every morning when I look in the mirror at my face, I marvel at how smooth it looks for my age. This is such a terrific product. I just finished my first bottle and I'm on to my second one!" —Rabid Reader
Get it from Amazon for $19.99.
9. Embryolisse, a cult-favorite French moisturizing cream to hydrate, protect, soothe, and nourish your skin. (It's been with you after all these years, so give it the pampering it deserves.) Makeup artists also use it as a primer, so consider this a 2-for-1 value purchase.
Promising review: "So far I am loving this lotion. I put in on every morning under my makeup and it leaves my face perfectly moisturized all day long. I also noticed I use less foundation because it’s so moisturizing. I don’t believe there is any miracle moisturizer that will ever get rid of our crows feet, laugh lines, neck sagging, etc. but this moisturizer helps reduce the look of these problems as long as they’re not deep surface. I’m 68 years old and never was someone who was a 'sun worshipper' and, fortunately, stopped smoking in 1980 after smoking for 15 years. Those two things do a lot of damage to your skin, so to all young women reading this who are doing these two things, take it from me, if you want to retain healthy, youthful skin, stop these too harmful habits. Use sunscreen when you are in the sun and use moisturizer now. Embryolisse seems to be a good place to start!" —Janet Cahill
Get it from Amazon for $16.
10. An acne patch for those days when a pimple pops up at the *worst* possible moment. Hydrocolloid, tea tree oil, and calendula oil are gentle on the skin while still drawing out fluids and pus from your pimple.
Promising review: "These are the best. I’m 65 years old and still experience frequent breakouts. Pop on one of these and your zit heals in half the time. The package has several different sizes so you can use really small ones for average pimples or on small places like the tip of your nose. It also comes with big ones for those zits that look like a light in the middle of your forehead. They’re practically invisible so you can wear them during the day." —Terry L. Burgess
Our Avarelle acne patches deep dive gets into the nitty-gritty — why they work, how to use them, and why people can't stop raving about them.
11. A hyaluronic acid serum if you're looking for a simple, surefire way to inject your face with intense hydration. Hyaluronic acid is a humectant, meaning it draws in moisture from its surroundings. The result = plumper, softer, smoother, more hydrated skin.
12. A cuticle oil because too many gel manis have destroyed your nails. Sweet almond oil, vitamin E, and jojoba soften the cuticle and strengthen your claws so you'll be proud to show them off.
Promising review: "I was skeptical that this would do anything for my fragile nails. Four months later I'm stunned that my nails are not chipping and peeling like they used to, and even the ridges are diminishing. When I look at the quarter-inch or so of growth from the nail bed that has occurred since I started using this product, I see nice smooth healthy nails. I can't wait to see what they look like several months from now when the entire nail has had a chance to grow out. I apply the oil all around the nail including under the tips of the nails before I go to bed most nights and massage it in while I watch the evening news. It is good to know nice nails are not a thing of the past even though I'm over 50 year old." —All His 247
Get it from Amazon for $8.50.
13. A soothing multipurpose oil blend so you can lock in moisture instead of using approximately 50 million products that say they hydrate your skin...and then don't. Its gentle formula won't irritate rosacea, psoriasis, or eczema, but it will help you say goodbye to dry skin and frizzy hair.
14. A box of pore-tightening, skin-lifting face masks that'll truly terrify you, first because you'll look like a zombie once you've applied it, and second because it's so darn effective at reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
Promising review: "At 60 years old I have tried SO MANY products...anything short of surgery to lift and tighten my face. Around the age of 57 my pores became larger and larger. I tried product after product and spent hundreds trying to find that fountain of youth. There is nothing like going into a store with sales people younger than my grandchildren telling me what I'm doing 'wrong' with my skin care regime. They had never seen a wrinkle in their lives. I thought I would give this face mask a shot. I mean what did I have to lose? Immediate results! I couldn't believe it! My pores were small; my face was different...and in a good way..lol. I can't believe my skin looks so good. I'm so excited. I had to write a review. I don't think you'll be sorry if you decide to try this. I know I sure wasn't!" —Judi Bragg
Get a box of eight masks from Amazon for $21.50.
15. A CeraVe foaming cleanser to remove dirt, oils, makeup, and other nasties from your skin without drying or stripping your face.
16. A plumping, glow-enhancing, pH-balancing K-beauty essence for rehydrating your face, and prepping your skin so it's ready to drink up all the benefits of your moisturizer.
17. A luxurious oil-based cleansing balm if you're looking for a new makeup remover that actually loosens waterproof mascara or are just starting your double cleaning routine. A major benefit of oil-based cleansers is that they attract the oils and debris already on your skin but are uber gentle and won't leave your skin feeling tight and stripped. (And because it needs to be said — you absolutely can use an oil-based cleanser if you have oily skin.)
18. A yummy body scrub because all the lingering dead skin cells are preventing your body from properly absorbing your moisturizer. Not only will this Dead Sea salt scrub help unclog pores and prevent ingrown hairs, but it'll also leave your skin feeling buttery smooth and smelling mouthwateringly delicious.
19. A pore-tightening liquid so your skin looks like a real-life filter. It's made with BHAs and tannins to help clarify and smooth skin, as well as shrink enlarged pores.
20. A vitamin C cleanser that'll wash away dry, flaking skin while penetrating deeply to leave behind hydrating oils. Vitamin C may help increase your skin's hydration by nourishing and reinforcing the skin's moisture-retaining barrier, so this is an easy way to take advantage of vitamin C's benefits without bothering with confusing serums and toners.
21. An exfoliating water gel to loosen the dead skin on your face, because finding a chemical exfoliant that works can be tricky. Good thing we've done the hard work for you! Seriously, you'll be able to see little "beads" of dirt, debris, and dead skin go down the drain.
22. Differin, a once daily topical retinoid for acne that hasn't responded to any other treatments. It contains adapalene, a retinoid that unclogs pores and speeds cell turnover so acne doesn't even have a chance to form.
Promising review: "This stuff is great! For whatever reason, I began having cystic acne. At 51, I thought I was done with breakouts. And they were taking weeks and months to go away. Within a week of using this, several are completely gone, and what is left is almost gone. I have a little bit of drying where I was breaking out and the healing is taking place, but I will happily put up with that. I will be back for more. It works better than the retinoid I bought for $75!!" —Stacey Hall
Get it from Amazon for $12.26+ (available in three sizes).
23. A weightless vegan squalane oil if you haven't yet added this magical oil to your skincare routine. It's similar to the skin's own oil, and works to help prevent moisture loss so your skin stays supple. You can also expect it to help soften textured skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines, and fade discoloration.
Promising review: "I'm, well, a senior citizen and have used many products and many moisturizers over the years. My daughter introduced me to this product. I love it. Frankly, I've thrown out almost all other moisturizers. I use this product for my arms, my legs, my feet, my hands, my cuticles, and my face. Oh, yes, and when there is still some left on my hands I run it through my hair, just enough to help tame my frizz. It's light; it absorbs quickly. Fragrance free is a plus for me. If you like a heavy lotion feel, then this product isn't for you. I've tried squalane from other suppliers. This one is the best." —mcmorgan
Get it from Amazon for $32.
24. A cruelty-free lip balm with SPF 25 because whoever you're locking lips with will definitely notice a difference.
25. A set of 16 sheet masks so you can treat yourself to a little self care while also targeting specific skin issues, like dryness, irritation, dullness, and more.
26. A Paula's Choice liquid exfoliant that'll resurface the skin, brighten hyperpigmentation and acne scars, clear pores, and improve skin texture. If you're just dipping your toes in the chemical exfoliant pool (first of all, welcome!!), start by applying this every other day or a few times a week to build up a tolerance and not irritate your skin.
Promising review: "I am 70 years old and have sensitive skin. I have fought blackheads and enlarged pores into my 70s. My skin has enlarged pores, and no matter how much I scrubbed all I succeeded in doing was irritating and reddening my skin. My son and daughter-in-law have beautiful skin and I learned about this product over Christmas when my son asked for it as a stocking stuffer. It is a magic bullet. It is A M A Z I N G. After three days my skin was smoother and blackheads on my T-zone disappeared. Don’t wait if you have clogged, enlarged pores. It is a game changer even for older folk. I put some on a cotton pad and stick the wet pads on problem spots when I go to bed. Next morning the pores are unclogged and invisible." —tn8clady
Get it from Amazon for $10+ (available in two sizes).
27. CeraVe's face and body moisturizer to enjoy 24 hours of head-to-toe hydration with like 10 seconds of effort required on your part. It contains three ceramides, which are lipids that help the skin retain its moisture, plus hyaluronic acid, another ingredient known for keeping skin plump and hydrated.
28. A bottle of Garnier micellar water, a multipurpose liquid for any beauty newbies. It's a fantastic toner, gentle makeup remover (though you may need something tougher for waterproof mascara), cleanser (no rinsing necessary), on-the-go skin hydrator and refresher, and makeup brush cleanser. No matter how you use it, you'll love that it works for just about every skin type.
29. A bottle of rosehip oil if your skin has lost its glow. Its antioxidants and fatty acids may help brighten dark spots and restore your skin's plumpness. Use it on your face, nails, and body for scrumdiddlyumptious results.
Promising review: "When I got it, I immediately washed my face and slathered this on. I know I should have waited until before bed but I was excited to try this one. The color is much darker than the other brand. The smell is about the same, kind of earthy, but not unpleasant. After a few hours, it had soaked into my skin very well. I am 51 years old and have some light wrinkles around my eyes and forehead, and old acne scarring. I also have menopausal/hormonal acne coupled with dry spots. Right now my skin feels like 'butter' as my teen daughter puts it. I had several aggravated/dry/kinda-scabby spots that have calmed down and I swear, actually feel smoother. Like the scabby parts disappeared. I also have a bit of that old lady chest thing going on, in spite of sunscreen. (I work outside delivering mail.) And I don't know if it's real, but that looks smoother too! I'm excited to see the long-term results!" —Angela Lopez
Get it from Amazon for $14.95.