27 Products Reviewers Swear By For Going On Vacation In A Warm Climate
Including a hair serum that'll prevent frizz without losing your curls, a beach pillow with a hidden pocket for your valuables, and your new holy grail sunscreen.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
The coronavirus pandemic is still impacting travel, and destinations around the world have different COVID-19 restrictions in place. Always check and adhere to local government policies as you're planning any future trips.
Unless otherwise specified, all sizes in this post are listed in women’s.
1. A talc-free sweat-absorbing powder to calm and cool any areas where sweat pools. It's long lasting and made with calamine, an ingredient that can help reduce irritation and dry sweat.
2. A portable neck fan so you can always keep your cool. It's *checks phone* really damn hot outside, so I don't think I'm really out of line here by saying that you'll be kissing my sweaty feet when I tell you it has seven powerful fan blades and three fan speeds. It's both battery-operated and USB rechargeable, and runs for 3–12 hours depending on the fan speed.
Promising review: "Just got back from vacation in Orlando, Florida in August. This fan was a godsend! One charge lasted in the parks all day. There are three speeds and the highest speed kept me nice and cool! Definitely recommend." —Erika L.
Get it from Amazon for $14.99+ (available in four colors).
3. A cruelty-free lengthening mascara because you don't want to look at vacation photos and realize you look like a raccoon. This one is lightweight, won't transfer, doesn't smudge, and lasts all day. Consider your expectations exceeded!
4. A magical sand-sifting mat if you think it ~shore~ is annoying when you're at the beach and your blanket is covered in sand. It's large enough to fit the family, and durable, quick-drying, and water-resistant.
5. A Bioré SPF 50 sunscreen that'll protect your skin without feeling like it's clogging your pores. A good sunscreen is a skincare must every day — even when you're on vacation.
Promising review: "I purchased this before a trip to Aruba and I am glad I did. I pretty much just used this on my face and neck. It is really great, particularly if you have sensitive skin (like me). It is kind of like you are not wearing anything at all, but it really does work quite well." —Karl Hafer Jr.
Get it from Amazon for $13.48.
Check out my coworker's Bioré UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50 review for more deets!
6. An anti-chafing balm for swiping anywhere your clothes rub. It creates a moisture-repelling layer on your skin (without ever feeling greasy!) that protects against blisters, irritation, and chafing when your running, hiking, biking, or just trying to exist in the world as a sweaty person.
7. And a set of anti-chafing thigh bands to prevent a case of angry, sweaty, chafing thighs. You should be able to go about your fun vacation adventures without your body attacking itself.
8. A pair of water-ready Teva sandals so your footwear can keep up with all your outdoorsy activities.
9. Or a pair of double buckle sandals because they'll fool everyone into thinking you shelled out the big bucks for the real version. Reviewers say the padded and contoured footbed will mold to your feet so every step is pain-free. Plus, they're waterproof so you can wear them to the beach or lake without worrying that the they'll get ruined.
10. A beach pillow with built-in storage if you want to relax at the beach but every time you close your eyes you imagine someone stealing your stuff. Hide your valuables inside this handy beach pillow (which comes with a carrying strap) and zone out to the sounds of your fave true crime podcast. There's even a headphone port so you can listen to your tunes while your phone is *inside* the pillow, protected from the elements.
Bruce Moorehead wanted to create a travel pillow that would work in any terrain — and so the LA Wedge was born!
Promising review: "I took the pillow on vacation and was able to put keys and an iPod in the compartment to protect from the sand. It is also very comfortable. Again, brilliant." —Sheila
Get it from The Grommet for $23.99+ (available in eight colors).
11. A pack of paw protection cream that'll guard against scorching hot sidewalks and sand in the summer, and ice and salt in the winter. It's made with vitamin E to keep the paw pads moisturized, but some reviewers use it on their dry, cracked heels as well as their tattoos.
12. A satin-lined sleep cap that'll protect your hair from new environmental stressors as well as extend the life of your style.
Grace Eleyae is Black woman-owned business!
Promising review: "This is a great cap and the price is reasonable for the quality. I use mostly for night, but it's very stylish and can be worn out. It's a little big for my head so it sometimes slips a bit while I'm sleeping, but I don't like things too tight on my head so I don't mind. It's very comfortable. Sometimes my head gets a little warm with it on, but mostly fine. I noticed my hair was feeling more dried out sleeping on my regular pillow. This has helped my hair not feel so dry in the morning and smoother when I brush it. I used it on a trip recently where the humidity was very high and my hair didn't frizz like it usually does. Very pleased and have already given it as a gift." —anonymous
Get it from Amazon $19.99 (available in four colors).
13. A John Frieda serum to ~mane-tain~ your smooth, shiny style no matter the weather. Get you a serum that can protect against damage from heat-styling tools, resist frizz, hydrate hair, tame flyaways, and smooth strands.
14. A portable mini dehumidifier so the humidity doesn't follow you indoors. This lightweight and compact machine removes up to nine ounces of water each day in rooms up to 215 square feet.
15. A pair of Dickies moisture-wicking crew socks because getting a blister in sweaty, soggy socks a quarter of the way through your 5-mile hike is no bueno.
16. A stunning ruffle V-neck one-piece if the most exciting part of any tropical vacation is picking out your outfits. This swimsuit is the cherry on top of your beach vacay wardrobe.
Promising review: "This bathing suit is soooo comfortable. Loved the front ruffles and thick material. I'm currently considering in getting it in other colors. I was so skeptical to buy from this brand because I wasn't sure it would fit, but it did! I absolutely loved it. It was perfect for our Cancun vacations." —Anna M.
17. A Revlon hot air brush that'll help you go from wet, tangled, frizzy hair to a shiny, salon-worthy blowout in minutes. It replaces both your hair dryer and your round brush (because you don't have room to pack both!), and reviewers say it keeps their hair looking smooth and slick even in maximum humidity.
The brush has special vents that allow air to flow so hair dries faster. Plus, it's quicker than using a dryer and then a flat iron or curling iron, which equals less heat damage.
Promising review: "I was traveling with a friend in a humid place and realized curls would not work there! I borrowed her amazing Revlon dryer brush and it worked fast and easy and my hair was shiny smooth in a jiffy! I came home and ordered one ASAP!" —Schannon
Get it from Amazon for $41.98+ (available in five colors).
18. A Cantu curl activator cream for anyone who wants to go heat-free this vacation but doesn't want the humidity to deflate their curls.
19. A Stila waterproof eyeliner to create precise and dramatic wings that won't budge through humidity, sweat, and tears.
20. A LifeStraw so you have peace of mind when traveling without access to clean water. It's designed to eliminate 99% of waterborne bacteria and certain parasites, and it filters contaminants as small as 0.2 microns. Plus! Each LifeStraw will last long enough to effectively strain 1,000 gallons of water.
21. A DEET-free plant-based insect repellent because it provides hours of protection from pesky mosquitoes and ticks without leaving behind a greasy film.
22. And a bug bite suction tool if, for some reason, you're exceptionally attractive to mosquitoes. It's designed to actually suck out venom, saliva, and irritants on your skin that may be causing swelling and itching.
You can also use it to treat bites from bees, wasps, biting flies, no-see-ums, chiggers, and sea lice.
Promising review: "I have always suffered so badly from mosquito bites. For some reason they love me and I get more bites than the average person. I get giant welts that itch for days that most anti-itch creams don’t even help. Itching turns them into open wounds, and I even have some scars from some old bites. I saw a post on Facebook about 'The Bug Bite Thing' and I bought it on Amazon as a last resort. It was one of the first things I packed for my vacation in the Dominican Republic. I am absolutely in love with this product! It is the first thing I’ve used that stops the itch permanently! The first picture is when I felt the mosquito bite itching; it is just half of what becomes of the welt. The second photo is immediately after using The Bug Bite Thing. The third photo is five hours later, it left me a little red ring around it but that’s nothing compared to what I would’ve suffered from and it does not itch at all. I am so happy I found this product. Ive even used it on my children ages 2 and 7. I highly recommend this product!" —Angelo
Get it from Amazon for $9.95 (also available in black).
23. An Etude House drying powder that'll help control your skin's oil production and keep your face from looking greasy. You can also apply it to your hair (make sure you dust off the residue) so your roots look freshly washed.
24. A hair repair serum with hydrating argan oil, aloe vera, and vitamin E for restoring moisture to your hair after long days in the damaging sun.
25. A waterproof phone pouch to ensure you get the best underwater pictures without ruining your phone. *Ring ring* Hello? It's National Geographic asking if they can use your travel photos.
26. A clinical-strength antiperspirant so you can focus on having fun instead of worrying about whether other people in your tour group will notice your excessive sweating. This roll-on contains 12% aluminum chloride, a compound that blocks sweat, so you can enjoy up to 72 hours of protection from endless sweat.
Promising review: "I sweat when/where no one else does. The slightest stressor instantly signals my pits into sweat production, so I’m constantly nervous about being moist and being moist makes me nervous. Planning for many sleeveless ensembles, I bought this to try for a trip to Costa Rica. After hiking through the rainforest, trekking up and down to waterfalls, and strolling through a greenhouse (all in the midst of monsoon season), my pits where the driest they’ve ever been! I excitedly requested my spouse feel them for affirmation. Yep, like DRY dry!" —Christopher
Get it from Amazon for $5.67.