1. A pet hair remover if you're tired of getting fur all over your clothes. Roll it over your couch, bed, favorite blanket, you name it, and watch it lift the fur away. See, we can own nice things!!
Promising review: "If I could give this product six stars, I would. My husband and I use it almost every day. We have three furry dogs and six fluffy cats, which makes for A LOT of hair. We were using a lint roller before we bought our ChomChom Roller. The lint roller didn't work very well and had to be replaced. We have had our ChomChom Roller for months and it still works just as well as it did when we first got it. We can actually invite our friends over now without worrying about all the pet hair." —Morgan Willis
Get it from Amazon for $24.95.
2. Or this pet hair remover to do the dang job. This thingamajig couldn't be easier to use; just run it over your carpet, couch, clothes, car seats, and more and it'll collect pet fur that's deeply embedded.
3. An allergy supplement so you're not distracted and annoyed by your dog constantly scratching and licking themselves. These soft chews are great for dogs with sensitive skin and allergies, and they deliver a dose of probiotics and other nutrients to help improve immune function, aide digestion, promote healthy skin, and add shine to a dog's coat.
Promising review: "Our 70-pound lab boxer mix was in misery due to skin allergies. We had spent a small fortune and he had two allergy related surgeries that left him weakened and with serious hair loss. We changed diet, went through food trials, twice! Various prescription allergy medications with no relief. We started using these treats and his coat now looks healthy and normal. His vitality has improved and we haven't visited the vet for months! We are amazed at the change in his skin. The itch has stopped completely. I only wish we had found relief for him sooner." —Kool-aide
Get them from Amazon for $25.96 (or Subscribe & Save for $23.36/month).
4. An interactive cat toy to quickly replace the bin full of other playthings you've bought your kitty over the years...and that they now won't even look at.
Promising review: "I have a whole room filled with cat toys that my cat is not interested in. It's funny how the least expensive cat toy I have makes him go crazy. He plays with this until he's panting like a dog and I have never seen him jump so high. I'm certain this toy will help him lose his belly. He loves it! I highly recommend it!" —Kwoo
Get it from Amazon for $2.99.
5. An odor-eliminating spray because the smell of pee wafting from your carpet — even though you've diligently cleaned up after every pet mess — makes relaxing in the living room near impossible. Each spray releases bacteria that feeds on the ammonia left behind after your pet's accidents, eliminating the urine completely and deterring your pet from peeing in the same spot again.
Promising review: "I have six elderly cats, and a few of them oftentimes leave smelly pee puddles to register their disdain at whatever cats get 'peed off' about. It's not a litter box problem and, although I've caught one or two of them doing it, I can't blame them all. This product works great on fresh messes as well as dried ones. After blotting up fresh pee pads, I saturate the area with Rocco & Rossi's odor remover and let dry. For dried stinky stuff, I just saturate the area and let it dry. It has a pleasant odor and completely eliminates the ammonia odor. Believe me, I've tried all kinds of products, and this one works the best. I buy gallons now just to have on hand. It's better than smelling that awful pee!" —mona mia
"I have used many products that claim to be odor eliminators and stain removers, but WOW! This one does EXACTLY what it says. I have some spots on my carpet from an elderly dog. I used it on some spots that I'd tried to remove with my carpet shampoo machine and it had little effect. I used this once on those spots and odor are GONE!!! The BIG plus for me, too, is that this product is made in the USA!!!! Great product and works absolutely as advertised. I will definitely be buying another bottle!!!" —desertrat
Get it from Amazon for $25.
Check out our in-depth Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator review.
6. A mounted brush that'll satisfy your cat's ceaseless demands for scritches. Just mount it to a corner with the included adhesive strips and watch as your beloved babies leave you for the warm embrace of this gray and white piece of plastic.
Promising review: "My cat Gambino Bambino would let you brush him bald!!! He loves to be groomed and comes running whenever the brush comes out. Though we love to accommodate, I know he wanted more. He was constantly rubbing his cheeks and ears on the corner of our walls to get even more scratching. I finally came across this product and knew he would love it! It took a little convincing but once he got a hang of it he’s been loving it! We have one in the living room, one in the kitchen, one at the top of the stairs and one in the guest room! He is having a great time!!! Very easy to put together and place on the wall." —T. Mangiaracina
Get it from Amazon for $3.74.
7. A pack of matatabi chew sticks if you're tired of wasting money on catnip toys that your kitty couldn't care less about. Matatabi is a plant native to Japan and a catnip alternative (great for kitties who show no interest in catnip!). Plus, the stick format helps keep their teeth clean.
MeowyJanes is a wonderfully named small business based in New Egypt, New Jersey. It specializes in catnip and catnip alternatives.
Promising review: "I have two young Siamese mix cats that chew wires, shoes, wooden spoons. These chew sticks are perfect for them. They sniff the sticks, run on them, and then start chewing. My two cats that are over 10 years old just rub on them but don't enjoy chewing them. If you have a very active cat that does destructive chewing, these are a great substitute." —JEM4612
Get them from Amazon for $9.97.
8. A hair-removing glove for curbing your dog's shedding as well as satisfying his endless desire for some rubbies. It's great if your dog or cat goes running at the sight of a brush.
My colleague AnaMaria Glavan swears by this thing. In her own words:
"The glove is super comfortable and using it couldn’t be more foolproof: just put it on and run your hands through your pet’s fur. That’s it! The silicone grooves pick up so much fur with ease. Like, my dog looks close to hairless. HOW is he shedding so much!?!? After a few runs, I found that I would have to remove fur from the glove before continuing (you can pick up the fur with your other hand or run the glove under some water — either works) but it’s no biggie. The silicone actually makes it really easy to keep this clean. We got Rockie when he was 5 and he’d been riddled with skin issues and allergies, so I was pretty nervous to use anything that could potentially aggravate his conditions. However! Not only does this *not* bother his skin, but he…loves this. A lot. He starts snoring after exactly two run-throughs on his back. Also, his coat looks SO shiny after each use! TL;DR: this is one of those inexpensive add-ons that any pet owner should have on hand."
Get it from Amazon for $7.99.
9. A grooming rake so you can loosen fur and lighten your dog's undercoat and prevent future mats. This brush is specifically designed for pooches with thick, dense fur or double coats.
Promising review: "I wish I could give this thing seven stars, but five will have to do. I was able to pull entire sheets of undercoat out of our husky without disturbing the topcoat. I've never had anything work so well. It's even easier to keep the fur pile together. The fur stays clumped instead of getting spread out and floating around like with the blade style Furminator. This thing really digs the loose stuff out so much faster and easier. Check the photo to see what 20 minutes will get you." —pvfjr
"We own, or should I say are owned, by two large breed dogs: a Newfoundland and a Pyrenees. We prefer a rake to help get those undercoats brushed out and it allows us to slowly work any knots out. Our last one had cracked during a move and eventually the brush had pulled out so we needed a new one. We have no complaints about this product and it does exactly what it is supposed to." —Dana S
Get it from Amazon for $8.98.
10. A broom for pet hair to loosen the fur trapped in your carpet. It works just as well on wood and linoleum, with the rubber head working as a magnet to attract stray hairs. There's also a built-in squeegee for wiping up liquids or for cleaning glass. Plus, the handle extends from 36 to 60 inches so it can reach practically any mess.
My colleague Emma Lord, a self-professed shedder, also swears by this broom! Check out here full FURemover Broom review for more deets.
Promising review: "I bought this broom based on the tons of great reviews and I am not disappointed. I love this broom! It is lightweight but sturdy. I have used it on tile floors and carpet and it does a great job of getting the pet hair, lint, and dirt. I like this so much better than our traditional push broom. It is very easy to clean after use just using my hand, unlike our old broom. It also has a telescoping handle so that you can adjust it to whatever height you need. There is also a squeegee for doing the house windows and the car windows. I highly recommend it." —Joyce V
Get it from Amazon for $12.44.
11. A creamy paw butter because your pet deserves a little spoiling. This balm moisturizes dry, cracked paws and snoots and is safe if licked or swallowed.
Promising review: "We live in Chicago and the winters are brutal on our black lab's paws. The salt and snow were cracking his pads and although our dog wasn't whining or showing any pain, there is no way that a crack in his pad felt good. We put this on his paws once a day and noticed an improvement. We would take him out to play fetch and apply it the second we came back inside while he was still tired and panting so that he wouldn't lick it all off. It worked well enough that we'll buy it again next winter." —Todd Snyder
Get it from Amazon for $6.85.
12. An anti-fungal antibacterial spray made with cooling aloe that'll treat a range of skin conditions, including allergies, cuts, hot spots, infections, rashes, and scrapes.
Promising review: "My Frenchie chews on his paws night and day. I’ve tried raw diets, but it was not a food allergy. My dog just produces too much yeast in his paws and tail pocket that he just can’t help it but gnaw in this paws for hours on and scooting his butt to get that itch in that tail pocket. I’ve tried foot soaks, balms, and so many other products, wasting so much money. This is the first product that worked! The smell is very pleasant and easy application; be careful don’t let your dog ingest it. I love this product and won’t be using any other product. Since I’ve been using it, his paws are starting to look normal and not all red/raw and chewed up. I would recommend this to any animal owner to use this if the pets have skin issues." —Uyen Mai Thi Tran
Get it from Amazon for $16.95.
13. A bottle of Burt's Bees dander-reducing spray if you want your cat's coat soft, shiny, and free of dander and flakes. It's made with aloe vera and oatmeal to condition dry skin and reduce redness.
Promising review: "We have an overweight cat that has trouble grooming her back. She was so full of dandruff and greasy fur that I hated petting her. We took her to the vet, and he thought it was allergies. We tried prednisone for a while, and it was clear she was less itchy, but the dandruff remained. The vet suggested different food, so we switched to a different flavor (different ingredients) in the same line, and there was no change. Our poor girl looked miserable. We decided to try a bath, but she's 13 years old so we knew she wouldn't enjoy it. While looking for a shampoo for her, I came across this product and decided to try it before torturing her with a bath. After the first application there was a huge difference! After the second application, her dandruff is GONE. We spray her down and then brush her. She is so soft and shiny! She finally looks healthy, and feels good to pet." —Amber Steele
Get it from Amazon for $6.49 (or Subscribe & Save for $6.17/month).
14. A pack of Burt's Bees cat wipes for reducing dander and keeping your cats fresh. They're pretty similar to the spray, so it's up to you which format you prefer using with your kitties.
Promising review: "Our son was having a lot of dander on his back near the base of his tail. We kept up the brushing but it wasn't going away. Looking at the reviews I decided to go for the dander wipes. Well I have used it twice and was blown away. His dander is pretty much all gone now. Plus his hair seems shinier and silkier after his brushing and using the wipes. Not to mention our baby boy looks just like the cat on the packaging. All around I will continue to buy these and use once a week or twice every two weeks to keep up his beautiful orange coat. Thanks Burt's Bees!" —Tom Cincotta
Get it from Amazon for $5.59 (or Subscribe & Save for $5.31/month).
15. An adorable and basically tear-resistant stuffed duck so you can stop spending money on toys that your furry destroyer shreds in approximately 10 seconds. This lil' yellow duck doesn't look like it, but it's built to last.
16. A pet brush to do the hard work of detangling your pet's matted fur while also removing dead hair to reduce shedding and keep your vacuumed floors fur-free. The stainless-steel blade is packed with tiny teeth that are long enough to grasp loose hairs in your dog's or cat's undercoat.
Promising review: "Great product! I have a 5-month-old lab who would scream when I brushed her. With this brush she relaxes and I get five times as much hair off. I didn't know she had that much loose hair! Buying another for my brother!" —Katie Boone
Get it from Amazon for $15.97.
17. A durable dog pool because the only reasonable thing to do on a sweltering hot day is hop in the pool. These are portable and fold down so you can store them in the garage for next summer. And reviewers say they're sturdy enough to stand up to pups roughhousing in them.
Promising review: "My dogs love this pool, and it has given us hours of entertainment so far. My two smallish terriers are not the most gentle of creatures and so far it is holding up to their abuse: crashing over the sides, digging at their toys on the bottom, stepping on it so water spills out, general roughhouse play. The vinyl appears heavy duty and the boards inside are quite thick. Very happy with it so far...it’s definitely going to be a big hit this COVID-19/social distancing summer with the entire family!" —MLA
Get it from Amazon for $26.99+ (available in five sizes).
18. A bottle of Urine Gone, a stain- and odor-eliminating spray that'll penetrate carpet and break down dirt and grime. It's also safe for wood and tile, as well as on beds and couches.
Promising review: "Works just like advertised. Hope you never need it, but it sure is important if you do!" —CrabbyChick
Get it from Amazon for $9.88.
19. A pack of catnip-infused felt balls if Mr. Whiskers is obsessed with catnip but you hate the mess it makes when it's loose.
For a cat-nip recharge, pop the balls back in the tin so they soak up more of the catnip smell (from the capsules in the tin) and your cat will be ready to play with them all over again.
Simply B Vermont is a small business located in Vermont. They make all kinds of adorable pet accessories and toys for cats AND dogs.
Promising review: "Fast shipping, seller was super thoughtful and attentive, and most important of all our kitties are obsessed with these balls! Even my shyer one is running around with these having an absolute blast even without my tossing them around. It’s also wearing her out which is quite hard to do. Highly recommend!" —Ketti Schulenberg
Get a set from Simply B Vermont on Etsy for $12.99.
20. A swan fountain for picky cats who only want to drink out of the faucet. This sleek water fountain will keep them hydrated and save you from having to run to the bathroom every time Fluffy starts yowling because she's thirsty.
Promising review: "One of my cats has a health condition that makes it essential for her to drink as much water as possible, so I decided to try this fountain since it mimics the sink faucet more than the others I have. As soon as I turned it on, she came running and she's loving it. It's small and plastic, so it's lightweight but probably easier to break than the metal one I have. It's very quiet and the other cat (who doesn't seem to care about running water) has no problem drinking from the bowl portion. It was easy to assemble and seems easy to clean." —Bonnie A. Franz
Get it from Amazon for $35.84.
21. Or a no-spill water bowl so your floor isn't soaking wet after your pet grabs a drink. Water flows when your pet's tongue touches the floating disk in the center = they stay hydrated and your floors stay dry. The sides are also raised to prevent water from spilling out if you were to accidentally bump the bowl.
Promising review: "This bowl performs as advertised. I admit there is still a small amount of spillage, but nowhere near the amount my dog used to leave behind using a traditional water bowl. I easily mitigated this by using an absorbent bath mat. Overall, I am very pleased with this product and recommend it so as long as you don't have a 'water digger' LOL. I've seen some reviews stating moldy smell, but if you love your pets, you will refresh and clean their water bowl every day much as you would do with human beverage holders commonly called cups. I guarantee that daily refreshed water in a clean bowl will never have mold or stagnant water issues. It is super easy to take apart and clean; literally two minutes of your time once a day is worth it to give your beloved pet clean water. Moldy water bowls are not a result of a defective product, just lazy owners." —LT Odnol
Get it from Amazon for $15.99.