39 Beauty Products Reviewers Over 50 Swear By
You'll wonder how you went so long without them in your life.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A tub of brightening, firming, and rejuvenating eye cream so you look vibrant and well-rested.
Promising review: "I have been using this daily for about eight months now. I am 60 years old. It reduced the puffiness and bags under my eyes. I am Sicilian and had dark circles. It has brightened up my eye area. I am very surprised as I have paid much more for eye creams that have done so much less. I recently had pre-cancerous cells removed at the bridge of my nose. After healing, I was left with a dark scar. The dermatologist told me that it would heal over time. Since I began to apply this eye cream, the mark has almost disappeared entirely. I shop constantly from Amazon. This is the first time that I have taken the time to write a review. That's how impressed I am with this product. If you decide to purchase this, you won't be sorry." —Lynda M.
Get it from Amazon for $29.99.
2. A breathable skin tint from Glossier to even out your complexion without sinking into the skin's creases. It isn't as full coverage as a heavier foundation, but it provides ample coverage, blurs blemishes and pores, and leaves behind a dewy finish.
Promising review: "This is amazing on mature skin and I’m genuinely surprised the brand don’t make more of that fact in their marketing. The tint is so lightweight that it doesn’t sit in pores or emphasize fine lines, so if you have any texture to your skin it’s an absolute godsend. It also has more coverage than the videos might suggest, and I think that’s perhaps because they have for the most part used such young models — essentially their skin is so flawless that you can’t see any difference in the before and after, which fools you into thinking the product must be completely sheer — it isn’t. I love the natural slightly glowy finish which doesn’t have the aging affect of many of the current illuminating products; it’s just brilliant. BTW, I’m 53, but reckon this takes 5–10 years off." —RM
Get it from Glossier for $26 (available in 12 shades).
3. A splurge-worthy and dermatologist-recommended Elta MD tinted sunscreen for folks with sensitive skin. Sun protection is important at any age (UV damage can speed up your skin's aging process), and this one will tick all your boxes: not greasy, free of fragrance, noncomedogenic, free of oil, and free of parabens.
4. A teeth-whitening pen that'll be a heck of a lot quicker (and taste a lot better) than those irritating whitening strips that slip and slide all over your teeth. You can use each pen ~20 times and should expect your teeth to lighten four to eight shades.
Promising review: "I have used teeth whiteners before and had them whitened at the dentist. This is BETTER!! And easier because no trays are required. I am 54 years old and my teeth are looking like I'm 20. Love this product and will purchase again." —Melanie Hooper
Get a two-pack from Amazon for $19.99.
5. A L'Oréal glow-enhancing lotion because it pumps up your natural glow either on its own, under makeup, or worn as a highlighter. It's less disco ball, strobe-y highlight and more of a healthy-looking radiance.
6. An eyebrow tint if your brow hairs have lightened over the years and you're ready to reintroduce brows you can actually see to the world. It lasts up to three days...which means three full days of not having to fill in your brows. Oh! And it means you won't suffer through a lifetime of poorly tattooed brows. A win-win!
Promising review: "I'm so glad someone came up with an affordable product for people like me that have a very thin line for eyebrows due to YEARS of pulling them out. In my childhood years I had (what I thought) was 'thick' full eyebrows. I spent years pulling them out to have a thin brow (wish I still had them). Now that I'm older (I'm 53), they stopped growing back where I NEEDED them to grow and only grew where I don't want to grow. I can't afford microblade so this product adds a brow to where I have NONE and darkens the fine line I have. I do have to leave it on twice as long as it's recommended. I just wash my face around my brow area and it will last for at least 48 hrs (some times longer) for me. I'm sure it does better for someone that actually has brows and just needs areas to be darker and fuller. I love it." —Robin Thomas
Get it from Amazon for $11.25+ (available in three shades).
7. A low-stakes NYX tinted brow gel so you can groom, tint, and set your brows in one fell swoop. And it won't flake or make your brows look crunchy!
Promising review: "Wow, I am surprised! I finally have eyebrows again. This looks so natural. My eyebrows have begun to thin. I'm in my 50s, and I look washed out with no brows. This is so easy to use and doesn't rub off. Glad I tried this before going to one of the pricier brands." —LAB
Get it from Amazon for $5.69 (available in five shades).
8. Or a clear eyebrow gel to hold each hair in place while also blending seamlessly with gray hair.
Promising review: "I am 65 and my eyebrows are becoming sparse. Besides the challenge of finding an acceptable brow color in silver/grey, I have discovered that my eyebrows have become rather wild. I was hoping this product would keep them in place. It did. It’s colorless so there was no problem there. The product works. That’s all I hope for. Good choice." —MarloJones
Get it from Amazon for $5.97.
9. A moisturizing hair treatment for a quick burst of hydration. In just eight seconds — eight! — it starts working to leave your mane feeling silkier, softer, and smoother after washing.
Promising review: "I am 66 years old. I have fine thinning hair. Followed instructions. Blew dry my hair. How awesome was it? My hair now feels regular in thickness and holds a curl and actually has body. I wish for a lifetime supply. Will use this from now on." —Mortimer Brewster
Get it from Amazon for $8.97.
10. A Revlon hot air brush that'll help you go from wet, tangled, frizzy hair to a shiny, salon-worthy blowout in minutes.
The brush has special vents that allow air to flow so hair dries faster. Plus, it's quicker than using a dryer and then a flat iron or curling iron, which equals less heat damage.
Promising review: "First time review and it’s because I’m so happy with this dryer/styler! My hair is about shoulder length, very fine with a slight curl, and now it has some gray to it. It’s also frizzy, no matter what I use. I’m 61 years old so trust me, I’ve used a lot of products! Never have I been able to get my hair to look like it did after leaving the salon, EXCEPT after using this. I watched some YouTube videos first for some pointers, and then I gave it a try. It’s easy to use, even though it’s bigger than I thought it would be. My hair came out beautiful! Smooth, soft, no frizz and lots of volume. Hope this review helps you anyone out there that have similar hair!" —Anon anon
Get it from Amazon for $39.99+ (available in five colors).
11. A cuticle oil because too many gel manis have destroyed your nails. Sweet almond oil, vitamin E, and jojoba soften the cuticle and strengthen your claws so you'll be proud to show them off.
Promising review: "I was skeptical that this would do anything for my fragile nails. Four months later I'm stunned that my nails are not chipping and peeling like they used to, and even the ridges are diminishing. When I look at the quarter-inch or so of growth from the nail bed that has occurred since I started using this product, I see nice smooth healthy nails. I can't wait to see what they look like several months from now when the entire nail has had a chance to grow out. I apply the oil all around the nail including under the tips of the nails before I go to bed most nights and massage it in while I watch the evening news. It is good to know nice nails are not a thing of the past even though I'm over 50 year old." —All His 247
Get it from Amazon for $8.50.
12. Glossier Ultralip, a nourishing lipstick if you want a hydrating wash of color that doesn't make your lips feel dry as a desert. It's made with hyaluronic acid, a moisture magnet, and applies like a creamy balm.
Promising review: "This product does everything Glossier says. Goes on easy, moisturizing but not oily, sticky, or greasy. No lip liner needed (unheard of at my age, 59). Beautiful buildable color. I am a G10 and bought Ember and it is perfect." —Susanne
Get it from Glossier for $18 (available in nine shades).
13. A multi-use skincare oil so you can say bye bye to uneven skin, stretch marks, and acne scars. It helps your body retain moisture (see ya later, dry skin!) and absorbs into the skin fast so you won't feel greasy.
Psst! Bio-Oil contains retinol, which accelerates skin turnover but can make you more sensitive to the sun — so don't forget your sunscreen!
Promising review: "Bio-Oil is the BEST skin product on the market. I use it as a twice a day — morning and before I go to bed. Small lines have disappeared. My skin is very smooth and seems to glow. A doctor recommended this to one of my friends who told me about it. I have bought several bottles as gifts. Be patient. It will take a few months for you to see notice the changes. I am 71 years old. No one paid me to write this." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $8.89+ (available in three sizes).
14. A powerful snail repair cream to brighten dull skin, fade discoloration, add plumpness. Snail mucin extract is a popular ingredient in K-beauty products and is rich in hyaluronic acid (hydrates) and glycolic acid (stimulates collagen production).
Promising review: "I'm 55 years old and my skin is a bit sensitive. I don't have a lot of wrinkles, but I'm definitely noticing a few more laugh lines and forehead crinkles than I had a few years ago! I've tried several moisturizers and have not been terribly impressed with any of them until now. This stuff really is great — incredibly hydrating without feeling greasy and it absorbs quickly. It feels great on my skin. In just a few short weeks, I definitely notice an improvement in my skin tone and fewer lines and wrinkles! Plus, the customer service is great. I had questions when I first received the product and got followup response immediately. I will definitely be ordering this product again. I use it in the evening and morning; no need for two different moisturizers. Very pleased!" —sbakey
Get it from Amazon for $17.95.
15. A NYX buttery gloss for rich, creamy, high-shine color that doesn't feel sticky.
Promising review: "I like the buttery feel, and that this Butter Gloss lasts longer than other regular lip gloss and is more moisturizing than other glosses. I still use a nourishing rosehip lip oil beneath it for added moisture. I am 50 and my lips are thinner, more wrinkled, and dryer than my younger lips. Overall this provides more moisturizing and longer lasting gloss than other lip 'glosses.'" —elemental em
Get it from Amazon for $4.97 (available in 31 shades).
16. A collagen-coating hair treatment that'll revitalize a mane that's dry, damaged, and overprocessed. Waking up with frizz-free hair? Umm, yes please!
Promising review: "I am 52 years old and tried lots of conditioning products, but I have never found anything as good as this stuff it’s a life changer. Leave it on for 5+ minutes and rinse, and the softness will last about a week of washing your hair everyday. I use once a week (about a quarter size amount and I have long hair almost half way down my back). If your hair's shorter you could use a little less I suppose. But anyway, buy it." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $6.73.
Read our review of Elizavecca's CER-100 Collagen Coating Hair Protein Treatment to learn more about why my colleague calls it, "the miracle product I've been searching for."
17. A splurge-worthy bottle of Olaplex No. 3 because it's not messing around. It'll revive your dry, damaged, colored hair like no other. As someone who spends four-plus hours bleaching my hair every six to eight weeks, I can 100% vouch for this miracle in a bottle.
Promising review: "For the price of this small bottle I had very high expectations, and it truly delivered! This is not a hair conditioner. As it says on the bottle, it is a 'hair bonder.' I am 55 years old and I dye my gray Asian hair every 3–4 weeks. This makes my hair very frizzy and dry-looking no matter how much I condition. After using this twice — I washed my hair first, towel dried it, applied Olaplex, left it on for 10–15 minutes each time, did a quick rinse, towel dried it, and then blow dried it — the result is just amazing! No more frizz and fly-away hair. That was two days ago and still looks good." —SusannaF
Get it from Amazon for $28.
My colleague (pictured above) also swears by this stuff. Check out her Olaplex review here for more deets and some before and afters that'll make you buy this in bulk.
18. A Schick Silk dermaplaning razor if you've found more stray hairs on your face as you've aged. This handy mini blade is great for trimming eyebrows, as well as removing unwanted facial hair, especially if you find handling tweezers tricky.
Promising review: "Just used this amazing little razor on my face for the first time and I am hooked! I am 58 years old and battle the peach fuzz especially on my lip and chin....this was super easy and effective! The exfoliation alone is fantastic! Grab some of these for your beauty arsenal!" —Cisami
Get a pack of three from Amazon for $4.99.
19. A lightweight primer so you can apply your makeup to a smooth, even surface and have it stay all day. It's made with green tea extract and collagen to protect and moisturize the skin.
Promising review: "I won! This primer not only has a pleasant, light, and delicate smell, but it actually works very well too. I have a really oily T-zone and and really dry aging skin everywhere else. Somehow this primer seemed to do whatever my skin needed to keep the makeup in place. I live in a very humid, sub-tropical climate so finding a primer that holds up in nearly 100% humidity is amazing! I had two events to attend two nights in a row and they both lasted too long....hours! My makeup looked as good at the end of the night as it looked when I first put it on and set it that morning. It also made my skin feel so soft. I've been wearing it most of the time without adding any makeup and it really improves the look of my 64-year-old skin. Try it. I think you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I have been." —JustJan
Get it from Amazon for $15.50.
20. An eye primer to ensure your flawless smokey eye isn't ruined by your chronically oily eyelids on a night out.
Promising review: "I feel so stupid...I'm 65 years old and have always been annoyed by the fact that by mid-afternoon, my upper lids would be oily, shiny and sporting a stripe from my eye liner. I didn't think there was a cure. Then stumbled upon the idea of using a primer/foundation designed for the eyelids. What? How BRILLIANT!! Who would have thought? I dipped my toe into the water and purchased one tube of the Thank Me Later Eye Shadow Primer. I don't use eye shadow on my lids, but I do use it as a liner on my lower lashes. (I add water to compressed eye shadow and put it on my skin with a sponge-end pencil thing). This stuff ROCKS!! At the end of a hot Texas day, my lids are still as fresh and dry as they were at 6 a.m. And it only takes a pinhead-sized drop to cover one entire lid from lashes to eyebrow, with enough left to cover the lower lid area as well. It's creamy, but dries very quickly. Awesome! The only thing that keeps this product from being 100% perfect is that it has a chemical smell when you first put it on...BUT...after a few minutes, the smell is gone and my eye makeup looks impeccable for 12+ hours. Obviously, I highly recommend this product. They've found a lifetime customer with me." —ShortieTX
Get it from Amazon for $13.48.
21. An acne patch for those days when a pimple pops up at the *worst* possible moment. Hydrocolloid, tea tree oil, and calendula oil are gentle on the skin while still drawing out fluids and pus from your pimple.
Promising review: "These are the best. I’m 65 years old and still experience frequent breakouts. Pop on one of these and your zit heals in half the time. The package has several different sizes so you can use really small ones for average pimples or on small places like the tip of your nose. It also comes with big ones for those zits that look like a light in the middle of your forehead. They’re practically invisible so you can wear them during the day." —Terry L. Burgess
Our in-depth review of Avarelle's acne patches gets into the nitty-gritty — why they work, how to use them, and why 30,000+ people can't stop raving about them.
22. A cruelty free vitamin C serum that'll give your skin a much-needed pick-me-up. Just listen to the 51,000+ people who gave it a 5-star review: this stuff brightens, softens, and dramatically fades hyperpigmentation.
Promising review: "This serum is just as amazing as everyone says it is. I am 67 years old, and I have light melasma on both of my cheekbones. I have done *everything* to get rid of it (microdermabrasion, other serums, clarisonic exfoliation, and on and on ad nauseam). I wear SPF 50–70 on my face 365 days a year, and I've done that for decades. I also drink a lot of water. It looked as good as it was going to get. Now, my skin looks even better, and the melasma has never been lighter. Overall, my skin tone just looks very even and smooth. Every morning when I look in the mirror at my face, I marvel at how smooth it looks for my age. This is such a terrific product. I just finished my first bottle and I'm on to my second one!" —Rabid Reader
Get it from Amazon for $19.99.
23. A cruelty-free lengthening mascara because you're tired of mascaras that don't live up to their promises. This one won't let you down — I promise! It's lightweight, won't transfer, doesn't smudge, and lasts all day. Consider your expectations exceeded!
Promising review: "I am 68 years old and have been using makeup for 52 of those years. I have tried many mascaras over those years, from inexpensive to very expensive. I cannot say that I have ever been really happy with the results. I had reached the point where I thought that, it does not matter the cost, they are pretty much all the same. This changed my mind. I put on two coats and it made my lashes look so thick. If I did not know better, I would think that I had on false eyelashes. I used baby shampoo, as I always do and I always lather with the baby shampoo twice, to remove the mascara, and it came off easily. I will look no more for a new mascara. I cannot imagine a mascara better than this." —Piaget
Get it from Amazon for $4.99.
24. A dandruff shampoo if you'd really like to banish white flakes from your scalp ASAP. It's made with ketoconazole 1%, an antifungal ingredient that'll tell your dandruff it's no longer welcome here.
Promising review: "This is without a doubt the best dandruff shampoo ever. I am 50 years old and have had very bad dry scalp and dry skin on my face and ears all my life. I have tried everything on this side of the moon without any success until now. This stuff truly works and is amazing. I literally put it on my face and even on my ears where I’ve always had problems with dry skin, and after even the first use I saw amazing results — no more itching no more flaking. I can actually wear a black shirt now with confidence; no flakes to worry about . I truly highly recommend this product and the only downfall I can think of is where was it when I was a teenager and had to endure many embarrassing moments. Thank you so so much for this shampoo. It’s worth every last penny!" —stacy
25. A winged eyeliner stamp so you can achieve matching cat-eyes in seconds. Just stamp the wings and use the liner pen on the other end to connect it to your inner corner. That's eyeliner done for the day!
Promimsing review: "I am a 50-year-old woman who is ridiculous about trying out new makeup trends. I have been wearing my eyeliner winged since my teen years, and although I have gotten pretty good at applying my wings, I always seem to have one thicker than the other, or at an odd angel, most likely due to my eyes not being perfectly even. So when I saw a review of this product, I thought, what the heck, I will try it. Well, ladies (and guys who wear liner), this winged liner set is one of the best purchases I have ever made in the cosmetic world. It is so simple and I can't believe how quickly I was able to give myself the absolutely, flawless wings! If eyes could fly....worth every penny." —Molly A. Kasdan
Get it from Amazon for $14.97 (available in three sizes).
26. Embryolisse, a cult-favorite French moisturizing cream to hydrate, protect, soothe, and nourish your skin. (It's been with you after all these years, so give it the pampering it deserves.) Makeup artists also use it as a primer, so consider this a 2-for-1 value purchase.
Promising review: "So far I am loving this lotion. I put in on every morning under my makeup and it leaves my face perfectly moisturized all day long. I also noticed I use less foundation because it’s so moisturizing. I don’t believe there is any miracle moisturize that will ever get rid of our crows feet, laugh lines, neck sagging, etc. but this moisturizer helps reduce the look of these problems as long as they’re not deep surface. I’m 68 years old and never was someone who was a 'sun worshipper' and, fortunately, stopped smoking in 1980 after smoking for 15 years. Those two things do a lot of damage to your skin, so to all young women reading this who are doing these two things, take it from me, if you want to retain healthy, youthful skin, stop these too harmful habits. Use sunscreen when you are in the sun and use moisturizer now. Embryolisse seems to be a good place to start!" —Janet Cahill
Get it from Amazon for $16.
27. A creamy NYX lip liner for preventing your lipstick from feathering and bleeding into the fine lines around your mouth. This has such great color payoff, though, that you might want to just wear it on its own.
28. A box of pore-tightening, skin-lifting face masks that'll truly terrify you, first because you'll look like a zombie once you've applied it, and second because it's so darn effective at reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
Promising review: "At 60 years old I have tried SO MANY products...anything short of surgery to lift and tighten my face. Around the age of 57 my pores became larger and larger. I tried product after product and spent hundreds trying to find that fountain of youth. There is nothing like going into a store with sales people younger than my grandchildren telling me what I'm doing 'wrong' with my skin care regime. They had never seen a wrinkle in their lives. I thought I would give this face mask a shot. I mean what did I have to lose? Immediate results! I couldn't believe it! My pores were small; my face was different...and in a good way..lol. I can't believe my skin looks so good. I'm so excited. I had to write a review. I don't think you'll be sorry if you decide to try this. I know I sure wasn't!" —Judi Bragg
Get a box of eight masks from Amazon for $21.50.
29. A dey, natural-looking stick highlighter because it grants you that coveted "glow from within" look if sparkles and glitter aren't your thing. The heat from your fingers helps it blend it seamlessly to the high points of you face, like your cheekbones, cupid's bow, nose bridge, inner eye corners, and more.
30. A Rimmel setting spray if you want your makeup to maintain that matte look all day — and by all day, we mean all. day. It controls shine, locks in your makeup, dries quickly, and is oil-free.
Promising review: "I have combo normal to oily skin and this really works for me. As a 58-year-old woman living in hot and humid Texas, I need something either under my makeup or instead of makeup that controls shine and doesn't accentuate wrinkles. This really does the job! Will purchase again." —Kristy
Get it from Amazon for $5.97.
31. A set of flexible curling rods so you don't have to spend three hours in the morning curling your hair. Use them on wet or dry hair and then sleep on 'em. The results: perfect heatless curls.
Promising review: "I love these rollers. My hair is very thin and the hot rollers and dryer that I have been using further destroyed my hair. These rollers are easy to use. I put a little water on each section, roll, and usually wait two hours. My curls are great and stay all day. I am 70 years old." —The Sutherlands
Get 42 rods from Amazon for $12.99.
32. A Maybelline concealer to mask dark circles and reduce under-eye puffiness (because what is sleep?). This may be what feels like the millionth Monday you've woken up wishing it was still the weekend, but at least you'll look fresh, well-rested, and ready to take on the day.
Promising review: "Best under eye concealer ever. I am 67 years old and have tried them alI. I wouldn't go out without applying this concealer. It blends nicely with my foundation and has never caked. The sponge applicator is soft and makes application quick and easy. I will continue to use this product and hope, like many products I've used over the years, that it doesn't get discontinued." —Morty