29 Beauty Products That'll Address All Of Your Hair Woes
If you have 99 hair problems, these'll solve most of 'em.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A moisturizing hair treatment if you want a a quick burst of hydration. In just eight seconds — eight! — it starts working to leave your mane feeling silkier, softer, and smoother after washing.
Promising review: "I was hesitant to spend nine dollars on it but Amazon had the cheapest so I got it and it has gotten the tangles out of my daughter's hair that nothing else would, and I use it about once a week for myself as well. I recommend it for anyone with tangle-prone or damaged hair." —eBH
Get it from Amazon for $8.97.
2. A DreamGirls comb-out treatment that'll put an end to the pain and frustration of detangling natural hair. With its botanical-infused formula, brushing your kinks and coils will finally — finally! — be something you look forward to.
DreamGirls is a Black-owned, female-founded, *and* family-run haircare brand founded by Tonya Thompson and Sharie Wilson.
Promising review: "This TLC Comb-Out is the best product EVER!! It leaves my hair feeling so soft with no tangles. It even brought out my natural curls. And the best part about the TLC Comb-Out is that a little goes a long way for me!" —Kam
Get it from DreamGirls for $29.99.
3. A Revlon hot air brush to take you from wet, tangled, frizzy hair to a shiny, salon-worthy blowout in minutes. FYI this is the hot air brush that all the influencers you follow on IG are raving about because it is just 👏 that 👏 good 👏.
The brush has special vents that allow air to flow so hair dries faster. Plus, it's quicker than using a dryer and then a flat iron or curling iron, which equals less heat damage.
Promising review: "Amazing product. I wish I found this 20 years ago!! I have naturally curly hair and enjoy a nice blowout without having that pin straight 'burnt' flat iron look. This product helped me achieve the blowout look in about five minutes (yes five!). When it comes to hair, I’m a super novice and this is by far the easiest most effective (inexpensive) blow out. I would give this more than fve stars if I could. Where has it been all my life?!?!" —Sara Kovach
Get it from Amazon for $41.99+ (available in four colors).
4. A set of flexible curling rods so you don't have to spend three hours in the morning curling your hair. Use them on wet or dry hair and then sleep on 'em. The results: perfect heatless curls.
Promising review: "I can't believe I waited so long to buy these beauties. These curlers are incredibly easy to use and they give you gorgeous curls that last for days. I have tried every heatless curling method there is — sleep styler, braiding, boho headband wrapping, and every other tutorial on YouTube — and this is the only one that ACTUALLY works." —DW
Get 42 rods from Amazon for $12.99.
5. Octocurl, a no-heat hair curler so — bam! — you can achieve beautiful loose curls, spirals, twist outs, or beachy waves overnight. Just set your hair, go to sleep, and wake up to results!
Promising review: "This product was very easy to use and my hair actually curled! My hair is naturally very straight and fine, and I am allergic to most hair product so I try and avoid using any. I ran a wet hair brush through my hair to dampen, rolled each hair strand around two of the vertical strips, rolled up, and used the provided hair ties to tie each strand up. The next morning I ran my fingers through my hair and I was done! It is fast, easy and the final result exceeded my expectations." —Verona B.
Get it from Amazon for $27.99+ (available in three styles and nine colors).
6. A scalp massager for not only treating yourself to a relaxing scalp massage, but also for getting that blood flowing to your head while simultaneously breaking down buildup (hello hairspray and dry shampoo) that's making your hair oily and difficult to style. Starting with a clean slate can make working with your hair so much easier.
Promising review: "This is just what I wanted! Great for a scalp massage. I wanted a product that would not pull my hair, and did not have hard, plastic seams, to pull or damage my hair. This is it! Very relaxing to use. It is light, and comfortable to hold. I don't have to worry, about straining my hands, trying to grip this. I can control the amount of pressure perfectly without scratching my scalp. I bought one for my mom, and two for me! Love these. Great gift for the natural hair enthusiast or anyone looking for a nonmotorized scalp massager." —BunnyLove2
Get it from Amazon for $6.98+ (available in three colors).
7. A tub of Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay if your scalp needs a deep clean. This paste will break through buildup so everything you use after can really penetrate your scalp.
Promising review: "This has been a staple in my facial regimen for years. Recently I incorporated it in my hair routine. I have fine 3a/b/c hair and it is soooo fragile; a strong gust of wind can break the ends. I use this in a 1:1 ratio with apple cider vinegar (on dry hair), leave it on at least 45 minutes, and rinse it off with really warm water. My curls are sooooo defined at this point. I squeeze my hair off in a cotton T-shirt and apply a homemade hair mask (half an avocado, 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, EVOO, two eggs, a little flaxseed oil). I put a shower cap in for about 40–50 minutes and rinse with cool/cold water. Dry hair again with a cotton T-shirt and style. I do the LOC method. It may seem like my results could be attributed to any one of the steps in the process but when I remove the clay mask from the process my curls are nowhere near as defined, soft, and bouncy. This is the thing that my hair routine needed!" —Alessandra Finn
Get it from Amazon for $12.99.
8. A Neutrogena clarifying shampoo that'll lift hairsprays, dry shampoo, oils, and whatever else is gunking up your scalp. This will make your mane so much easier to style. Clarifying shampoos can dry out your skin if you use them too often, so we recommend using it once a week.
Promising review: "This shampoo removed months/years of product build-up in my hair that I didn't even know I had. After just one wash, my hair felt lighter, finer, more voluminous, and I needed less styling products to achieve the same results. But be careful not to use this too often as it can dry out your hair. I have long, dark fine hair and I use this about once every two weeks, or once every four to five washes." —Kat
Get it from Amazon for $5.29.
9. Or a Briogeo exfoliating shampoo to penetrate deeply, lifting dead skin and leftover products. Plus, the cooling formula soothes itching with a combination of anti-fungal oils, as well as moisturizing coconut oil that prevents future flakes.
Briogeo is a Black- and female-owned hair care brand founded by Nancy Twine.
Promising review: "The best shampoo I've ever used! I use this with the conditioner and my hair feels so amazing instantly. My hair has been falling out and thinning since I gave birth so I gave this a try as a free sample and bought the real thing instantly. My hair's getting thicker again and my split is back to normal again. I love this stuff!" —dramacitaa
Get it from Sephora for $42.
10. A heavy duty dandruff shampoo so you can banish white flakes from your scalp ASAP. It's made with ketoconazole 1%, an antifungal ingredient that'll tell your dandruff it's no longer welcome here.
Promising review: "MIRACLE PRODUCT! If you have a flaky scalp from dandruff, BUY THIS. I was about to go to the dermatologist if this stuff didn’t work. Thank goodness I saved myself hundreds of dollars by giving this product a shot. I used it four of five times (over a month) and it cleared my scalp almost completely. One more use and my scalp will be 120% healed! This stuff blew my mind. Totally worth it." —chris
11. A Remington curling wand because curling your hair is something you can excel at. It has an LCD screen and 10 heat settings so you can pick the temperature that's right for your hair. And, there's also a swivel cord so you can hold the wand at any angle without worrying about the cord. But wait, there's more!! The ceramic coating means your curls will be shiny and frizz-free.
Promising review: "OK, so this thing is seriously amazing! I bought the smaller barrel (1/2–1 inch) and can't believe how easy it was to curl my hair! I have very frizzy curly hair and wanted something to smooth out the frizz while making my curls a little looser and polished looking, and this wand nailed it! Super easy to use with a little practice. Watch a lot of YouTube videos for tips and tricks. I'm in love!" —MamaMcGeez
Get it from Amazon for $21.45+ (available in two sizes).
12. Or a Chi automatic curling iron for curling your hair for you while preventing your fingers from being burned. All you do is insert your hair into the chamber and the curler will automatically wrap it around the heated rod. Then, just wait until it beeps to let you know that the curl has set.
Promising review: "Love it!! I have fine textured hair — very straight hair. I have trouble not only curling it but keeping it curled. For example the other day I left rollers in my hair for 45 minutes and got a minor wave that fell out in 10 minutes. This tool is easy and fast to use, adds shine, and the curl stays." —Alexandria
Get it from Amazon for $61.50+ (available in six colors).
13. A bottle of Olaplex No. 3 if you're in need of a splurge-worthy repairing treatment that'll revive your dry, damaged, colored hair. As someone who spends four-plus hours bleaching my hair every six to eight weeks, I can 100% vouch for this miracle in a bottle
I went from very dark brown/almost black Asian hair to platinum blonde, a color I've maintained for more than four years. I truly believe the only reason I still have hair on my head is because 1. my colorist is amazing and 2. Olaplex. Despite having pretty strong hair, I remember globs of it breaking off in the shower right after I bleached my mane. In a panic, I bought a bottle of Olaplex and my hair has been thanking me ever since. I hate how expensive a single small bottle is, but I truly can't be without this. It's reduced breakage and brittleness, minimized frizziness, and just generally helped my hair look healthy.
Get it from Amazon for $28.
My colleague (pictured above) also swears by this stuff. Check out her Olaplex review here for more deets and some before and afters that'll make you buy this in bulk.
14. A bottle of Fanola purple shampoo that'll strip the brassiness from your hair so your silvery blonde dye job looks as good as it did when you stepped out of the salon.
Promising review: "This is a dark blue shampoo, so I did not let it stay on my hair long because I was afraid it would turn the 'old lady blue.' My hair looked more silver, shiny, and had a 'clean' appearance. I am very happy with this shampoo, and will be reordering. My hair was soft and easy to manage, with no flyaways." —CharlieCub
Get it from Amazon for $10+ (available in three sizes).
15. A color-depositing conditioner to transform your mane without the hassle and mess of at-home box dyes or the hefty price tag of a salon visit. Each time you wash your hair using this conditioner, the color will become more vibrant.
Promising review: "I love this! Never using traditional home dye again. I ordered pastel pink. It was so easy; I hopped in the shower, got my hair wet, and added several pumps to my palm. Then I used my hands to work it through my strands like conditioner. I waited for the five minutes, finished showering, then it was time to rinse. That's it. From bleached blonde to pastel pink in less than 10 minutes total. Results were even better than expected. And I didn't need gloves; my hands didn't get dyed." —Tabatha Carpenter
Get it from Amazon for $14 (available in 11 colors and four sizes).
16. A vegan and cruelty-free Function of Beauty shampoo + conditioner so your hair will thrive. How am I so sure? Well, because it's tailored to your specific hair type and texture.
Promising review: "I love that I can customize the hair products to fit my hair needs, as well as choose the scent and color. But what I love most of all is that it works! My hair has never felt so soft and strong. It's also growing faster! I'm very impressed and will keep buying!" —Gabrielle
Get it from Function of Beauty for $29.99+ (available in two sizes).
17. SwirlyCurly hairpins because you're tired of ripping out hair every time you remove your bobby pins. These are specially designed with a completely smooth surface to minimize snagging and breakage. So genius! They're amazing for natural hair but can work with all hair types and styles.
SwirlyCurly is a Black-owned hair accessories brand founded by Keziah Dhamma.
Promising review: "I like the look of decorative pins but avoid them due to fear of breakage. These were designed specifically for curly hair so there are no worries. They glide smoothly onto hair and can be removed without causing damage. They're also really cute." —Antoinette
Get them from Amazon for $14.99+ (available in 11 styles).
18. A Nuele hair serum to grant you the soft, smooth, moisturized, tangle-free hair you've always wished for. Made of five nourishing oils — jojoba, argan, moringa, rosemary, and clary sage — this potent formula is great for all hair types and textures.
19. A hair finishing stick if you want to clean up all those random strands that escape from ponytails and buns. It's basically like a mascara wand coated in natural plant oils for your hair.
20. A double-sided edges brush that'll smooth and lay your edges (if you want to!). On one end is a boar bristle brush that gently massages your scalp and increases blood flow and hair growth. The other end is a mini comb to polish your look.
It goes without saying that you 100% do not need to lay your edges if you don't want to!
Promising review: "I didn't see the point in buying an edge control brush with a comb attachment. I figured I could just go to the dollar store and get a soft bristle toothbrush and call it a day. Boy was I wrong! I brought this product on a whim due to the price. I'm glad I did. I will be buying another one for my daughter. I especially love the comb attachment. It makes swooping the tiniest baby hairs a breeze. The brush is a bit hard for my taste but it's gentle enough not to grab and rip out hair." —Tina
Get it from Amazon for $1.69.
21. And don't forget a detangling brush to separate knots without pulling and breaking your strands thanks to its flexible bristles.
Promising review: "I never write reviews...ever...but I am 100% convinced that this was a product sent down from heaven to bless the souls of those suffering with obnoxiously tangled and unmanageable hair. Truly. It gave me literal tears of joy after just one use. I have long fine hair, but it is VERY thick. In a perfect world with perfect weather and perfect products, it looks glorious, voluminous and tangle-free — but that world is basically non-existent. But fear not my fellow tangled-mess ladies, for this product is here to make that world a very real possibility. Never before have I been able to brush through my hair without any snags. Never before has brushing my hair been a painless experience (including having tiny pieces of the brush break off into my hair, causing even further pain and tangles). Never before has it taken less than 30 seconds to brush my hair after it is wet (which, come on ladies, takes freaking FOREVER). Never before have I ever found a brush that I didn't loathe with every fiber in my being. This brush...it's pure magic. I plan on buying three more and replacing every brush I have stashed in various places (my car, my office, my oversized work tote, EVERYTHING). This brush is freaking amazing. Tell your kids, tell your wives, and tell your husbands, because this brush is detangling everybody up in here." —Lucy Mitchell
Get it from Amazon for $9.88.
22. A collagen-coating hair treatment so next-day bedhead is a thing of the past. It's safe for all hair types and will revitalize a mane that's dry, damaged, and overprocessed. Waking up with frizz-free hair? Umm, yes please!
Promising review: "My hair used to be really soft, and then I discovered hot tools and hair dye. While my hair looks good I really missed the soft texture. This works so well. There are no instructions on the box but I washed my hair with my usual shampoo, towel dried it, worked about two quarter-sized dollops through my hair, let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinsed out. I went to bed with wet hair which usually results in my hair being kind of tangled and rough looking but I woke up and my hair was as soft and silky as it was before I started coloring it. I'm totally in love with this product, I have long fine hair but this doesn't leave it greasy or weigh it down. I'll definitely buy again." —Ellie
Get it from Amazon for $6.95.
Read my colleague's Elizavecca CER-100 Collagen Coating Hair Protein Treatment review (#1) to learn more about she calls it, "the miracle product I've been searching for."
23. Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream because it enhances your beautiful curls with its rich leave-in formula made with argan oil (makes your ringlets soft and bouncy), vitamin E (fights free radical damage and helps hair growth), and antistatic agents.
24. A Cee Cee's Closet silk-lined headwrap for protecting your hair from environmental stressors, like heat, humidity, and the sun in summer and dry air in the winter, and pulling your look together when you 1,000% cannot be bothered to wash your hair. The prints are so beautiful that you'll look fabulous no matter which way you tie it.
Cee Cee's Closet is a Black-owned hair accessories brand founded by Chioma and Uchenna Ngwudo. Their designs are handmade by artisans in Nigeria.
Get it from Cee Cee's Closet $37.
25. A 10-in-1 spray if you're short on bathroom space but the list of things you want from your hair products is long. This product *checks notes* boosts shine, conditions, controls frizz, detangles, hydrates, prevents breakage, protects from heat, smooths, softens, and strengthens.
My coworker Elizabeth Lilly (above) swears by this spray. In her own words:
"I have a very thick head of naturally curly hair and have put it through just about everything, including all kinds of hot tools, at-home dye kits, the gamut of shampoo and conditioner types, basically every dry shampoo and hair oil in existence, and just about anything else to try for a story for you dear readers. Lots of products have either straight-up failed, been meh enough for me to not recommend, or fantastic but so costly that I feel guilty recommending them. Basically, a lot of stuff ends up in the trash or pawned off on my (grateful) friends when it isn't a fit for me. But THIS STUFF. This stuff has become my go-to for spraying on my wet hair and then blow drying. Normally I'd apply a heat protector and an oil treatment or leave-in conditioner before blow drying. But this 10-in-1 treatment takes the cake! Most of the time when I use it, I don't even need to finish off my hair with hair oil (I've been doing that as an essential hair step for years now). It's really that good! Here, I have freshly blow dried hair with just this post-shower using this Amika blow dryer brush. This brush is fantastic on its own but this spray-on treatment has more or less doubled this brush's effectiveness. My hair comes out feeling softer, looking shinier and healthier, and stays looking good for days — which is especially great news because I wash my hair about every four days. 'Tis time for me to unload a bunch of hair products I now no longer need to my friends."
Get it from Mane Club NYC for $8 (cruelty-free, vegan).
26. An argan oil hair mask that'll repair your hair's elasticity and make it soft and shiny again. If you think you're awful at doing your hair, it could just be that split ends and dryness are making it hard to style your strands — and this deep conditioner can help with that. It's safe for all hair types and is paraben- and sulfate-free.
Promising review: "This is a great hydrating mask for hair! It leaves hair soft and shiny but not limp. I use it as directed (once or twice a week) but I bet you could use it more often if you felt the need. When I go in the shower, I wash my hair first then open shower door and towel dry my hair with the towel I placed nearby. Then, I slather on the mask and comb it through and continue with my shower routine. I rinse off the mask at the end of my shower. Very easy to use and incorporate in my busy schedule!" —SAS
Get it from Amazon for $12.95.
27. A hair repair serum with hydrating argan oil, aloe vera, and vitamin E to simply brushing your mane in the morning the extent of your hair routine.
Promising review: "I found this product through a BuzzFeed article for those with frizzy hair and THIS PRODUCT DID NOT DISAPPOINT, PEOPLE! I put this serum through the ringer; I got this to stand up to Bay Area fog AND the nasty, humid heat wave we got a couple weeks ago. No frizz, no extra curls. Nothing! On top of that, it made my hair super glossy. I'm very impressed. Heads up though, a little goes a long way. One pump is enough to cover my hair and I have medium-length hair. Also, it can make your hair look oily if you use too much. I do have oily hair so working on my ends first then working to my roots works for me." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $11.99.
28. A Batiste dry shampoo so you can go longer between washes. If this isn't the epitome of a lazy person's beauty product, then I don't know what else is.
Promising review: "I had used dry shampoo a few years ago out of curiosity. It went fine but I didn't really think I needed it and never bought another can after that. I thought I would give it another shot after seeing these in a BuzzFeed post and reading rave reviews. They're all correct! I love this stuff and have no idea why I didn't keep using dry shampoo after that one experiment a few years ago. The spray comes out cool, so it's super refreshing, and I love how much thicker my hair feels when it's in. It also smells nice, and a can lasts a long time if you use it maybe once between hair washes (I wash my hair about every other day, but sometimes go a few days and will use this once or twice during those periods). I even bought a travel-size version of this for emergencies. Bless you, Batiste!!!" —Amanda Storey
Get it from Amazon for $9.38.