2. Update — March 24, 11:55 p.m. ET:
The four men involved in the World Trade Center jump will be charged with burglary, the New York Daily News reports. Three men took part in predawn jump, which took place six months ago, while the fourth person stood lookout.
Last week a teenager from New Jersey climbed to the very top of the World Trade Center, 1,368 feet above street level, and was later arrested for the stunt. He first entered the premises through a hole in the fence.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office plans to charge the four who were involved in the BASE jump — Andrew Rossig, James Brady, Kyle Hartwell, and Marco Markovich — with burglary and other charges are possible, the Daily News reports.
Originally two of the men were caught on surveillance cameras landing between the Goldman Sachs building and the Conrad Hotel and wearing all black. It was clear the men had parachutes with them, but investigators were not aware at the time if they came from a building or plane.
The men were eventually caught after police used search warrants to find footage of the event on a GoPro camera.
Rossig’s attorney, Timothy Parlatore, accused the city of having too lax of security, especially since the teenager’s daring climb to the top comes six months after the BASE jumpers were caught on video.
Rossig and Brady were previously arrested in December 2012 for trying to jump from a tower in the Bronx, where they were caught on the 33-floor-high roof by police, the Bronx Times reported. Rossig was also arrested in 2008 after jumping from an Orange Country bridge.
- The US Department of Justice will keep defending Muslims under Donald Trump, top Obama administration officials said Monday.
- At least 36 people died in Friday's fire at a warehouse party in Oakland, California. Prosecutors say murder charges are possible.
- Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, and YouTube are teaming up to target and remove terrorist content on their platforms 💻📌
- Nordstrom is selling a stone wrapped in a leather case for $85 and people are…confused ⁉️😂