1. An Urban Outfitters duvet cover featuring Lord Ganesh was criticized by Hindus for being insensitive to their faith and has now been removed from the company’s website.
“Lord Ganesh was highly revered in Hinduism and was meant to be worshipped in temples or home shrines,” said Rajan Zed, who spearheaded the campaign, “and not to be slept upon.”
Before the duvet cover was removed from the Urban Outfitters’ website, it was on sale for almost two weeks for between $129.00–$169.00 and was described by the Philadelphia-based company as an “UO Exclusive” and “topped with a standout illustration by the talented Valentina Ramos.”
2. Rajan Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, thanked Urban Outfitters for removing the item from its website, but said an official apology from Urban Outfitters was still due.
Lord Ganesh is worshipped as god of wisdom and removed of obstacles in Hinduism and members of the community protested the deity’s image being featured on a duvet cover, saying it was highly inappropriate and trivializing.
“You can put him in a frame and on the wall. That is fine,” Zed said. “But not to be put on the bed, on which you lie and your feet will go on. That is very inappropriate.”
3. In December, Urban Outfitters removed socks from its website that featured Lord Ganesh’s image, after the Hindu community criticized placing the god on one’s feet.
4. Urban Outfitters has removed other items for offending other religious groups.
In 2012, the company sold a shirt that resembled the yellow Star of David patch Jews were forced to wear in Nazi Germany. In March of this year, the retailer was asked to remove a shirt that said “Jesus, I’m Drunk” with a picture of Jesus holding a beer.
Christian and Jewish leaders had joined with the Hindu community and called on Urban Outfitters to remove the Lord Ganesh duvet cover.
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦