Earlier tornado photo from @GrantJNBC5 — 8 miles west of Weatherford, Texas
KDFW-TV reported a line of storms moving through North Texas had spawned multiple tornadoes that caused damage to homes, large hail and heavy rains.
The Dallas Morning News reported Granbury officials requested medical help from other counties.
WFAA-TV said the American Red Cross said based on initial reports it believed Hood, Johnson, Parker, Wise and Montague counties had received the most damage.
The newspaper said power outages had darkened thousands of homes in the Grand Prairie area and elsewhere in the region.
3. A tornado was on the ground near Granbury and the nearby Rancho Brazos subdivision was evacuated after about 40 homes were damaged. There were reports of people injured and a possible gas leak.
Aerial image from Granbury area storm damage via @wfaachannel8 #txwx
4. The tornado in Millsap captured by Storm Chase Media.
5. There are multiple fatalities, reports CNN.
Kathy Jividen, a spokeswoman for the Hood County, Texas, sheriff’s office said there were “multiple fatalities” in the wake of the storm.
Hood County Judge Darrell Cockerham said there were reports of homes being flattened with people inside.
6. Granbury was pummeled by baseball-sized hail and Millsap was hit by hail stones bigger than golf balls, reports UPI.
I’ve been producing at The Weather Channel almost 4 years and I’ve never seen #hail like this before. Insane.
7. Video posted to YouTube appears to show the tornado in Granbury, Texas.
8. UPDATE — May 16, 2013, 12:14 a.m. EDT: Image showing some of the destruction in Granbury.
New pic of destroyed home in Granbury. This area was hit hard. @nbcdfw
9. UPDATE — May 16, 2013, 1:17 a.m. EDT: Sheriff says six people were dead on the scene and the number could climb higher.
BREAKING: Sheriff: 6 dead on scene. “That could climb higher.” 28 people at local hospital.
10. Update - 7:30 a.m. EDT: Sheriff says up to 100 people are injured and 14 are unaccounted for in tornado aftermath.
#UPDATE: At least 6 killed, up to 100 injured, 14 unaccounted for in tornado outbreak. Massive damage reported. http://t.co/9nGRg2McLN
11. Update - 9 a.m. EDT: The estimate of those injured has significantly decreased. Seven of the 14 people unaccounted for have also been found.
Hood County #s update — 6 killed, 7 unaccounted for, 37 injured, about 110 homes damaged or destroyed.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump that his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized its use.
- The mysterious substance used to kill North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's half-brother has been identified as VX nerve agent, a chemical listed as a weapon of mass destruction.
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at Coachella, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while pregnant 🐝😭