The “supermoon” phenomenon occurs when the moon is near the horizon.
The moon is 14% closer and 30% brighter than other full moons of the year, according to NASA.
1. Gothenburg, Sweden
The supermoon rises over Fiskeback harbor outside of Gothenburg, Sweden.
2. Belgrade, Serbia
The supermoon rises in the sky in front of The Pobednik (“The Victor”), a distinctive symbol of Belgrade built at the Kalemegdan citadel to mark victory in the first World War.
3. Roseto degli Abruzzi, Italy
4. Beijing, China
The supermoon rises over Chinese calligraphy on a sign that reads “Beijing”.
5. Athens, Greece
The supermoon rises in the sky in front of the Apollo’s temple at ancient Corinth, about 50 miles southwest of Athens.
6. Hong Kong
7. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The supermoon descends behind Brazil’s Nossa Senhora da Penha church.
8. Monterrey, Mexico
The dome of the Metropolitan Cathedral with the supermoon in Monterrey, Mexico.
9. Caracas, Venezuela
10. Havana, Cuba
11. Quebec, Canada
The Peace Tower on Ottawa’s Parliament Hill, as seen from Gatineau, Quebec.
12. New York, United States
People watch the supermoon rise over the skyline of New York from the Eagle Rock Reservation in West Orange, N.J.
13. Buenos Aires, Argentina
14. Bangkok, Thailand
15. Washington, D.C., United States
The supermoon is seen as it rises through the clouds behind the bronze Statue of Freedom by Thomas Crawford atop the U.S. Capitol.
16. Warsaw, Poland
The supermoon rises above a Jesus Christ statue in front of the Holy Cross church in Warsaw.
17. Suwon, South Korea
A supermoon rises behind Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon, South Korea.
18. Malaga, Spain
The supermoon rising, shot from the Sierra de las Nieves nature park and biosphere reserve between El Burgo and Ronda, near Malaga, southern Spain.
19. London, U.K.
The Tower Bridge in London with the supermoon in the background.
20. Tokyo, Japan
The supermoon is seen behind a ferris wheel in Tokyo.
21. Berlin, Germany
The supermoon rises behind Oberbaum Bridge as a train passes in Berlin.
22. St. Petersburg, Russia
The supermoon is seen behind the Peter and Pawel Fortress in St. Petersburg.
23. Mdina, Malta
The supermoon rises behind the cathedral in Mdina, Malta’s ancient capital city, in the centre of the island.
24. Sydney, Australia
- A newly unearthed Homeland Security report contradicts Donald Trump's travel ban, saying country of origin is not a reliable indicator of terrorism.
- The White House blocked several media outlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.