Baseball player Christopher Lane, 22, from Melbourne, Australia.
Michael Dewayne Jones, 17, told officials that he and his friends were “bored” and killed Christopher Lane for “the fun of it” while he was out for a jog in an Oklahoma neighborhood, police said.
Chancey Allen Luna, 16, was sitting in the rear seat of a car when he spotted Lane and shot him in the back, prosecutor Jason Hicks said. James Francis Edwards Jr., 15, was in the passenger seat and Jones was driving the car, Hicks said.
Australian college student Christopher Lane is pictured playing catcher in this photo. Lane came to U.S. on a baseball scholarship to play for East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma.
A 911 emergency call obtained by The Associated Press offers details of the next moments as a woman tells the operator she saw Lane fall over into a ditch as she drove by.
“He’s got blood on his back,” the woman says.
Later reporting information from another witness the woman said to the 911 operator: “He’s turning blue. He’s making a noise.”
This combination made with booking photos shows, from left, James Francis Edwards Jr., 15, Michael Dewayne Jones, 17, and Chancey Allen Luna, 16, all of Duncan, Okla.
Jones was charged with using a vehicle in the discharge of a weapon and accessory to first-degree murder after the fact. Luna and Edwards were charged with first-degree murder, and will be tried as adults.
Edwards was in juvenile probation and had been in court on Friday, the day of the killing, to sign documents.
Luna’s mother told KWTV in Oklahoma City her son and his friends were in a “wannabe gang.” The station also reported the boys may have killed an animal the same day.
7. Family and friends in Australia and Oklahoma mourned Lane.
Above a floral tribute rests on the home plate at the Essendon Baseball Club on August 20, 2013 in Melbourne, Australia, where Lane was a catcher on his youth team.
9. After the incident, Australia’s former Deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer, an advocate of gun control, has asked Australians to not visit the U.S.
“Tourists thinking of going to the USA should think twice,” Fischer told the Herald Sun. “This is the bitter harvest and legacy of the policies of the NRA that even blocked background checks for people buying guns at gunshows. People should take this into account before going to the United States. I am deeply angry about this because of the callous attitude of the three teenagers (but) it’s a sign of the proliferation of guns on the ground in the USA. There is a gun for almost every American.”
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- People are arguing about whether those who are anti-abortion rights should participate in the upcoming Women's March.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- For MLK Day, we're taking a look at some rare pictures of Martin Luther King Jr.