1. During Sunday’s season opener, severe rain shut the race down at the International Speedway after 38 out of the 200 laps had been completed.
2. The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning in the area.
6. Because of the delay, Fox aired a replay of last year’s race, when Jimmie Johnson won. Many fans on Twitter didn’t understand and tweeted along as if the race was live.
9. So many people congratulated Jimmie Johnson that he tweeted about it:
10. And even Fox News was confused about the win:
12. The Daytona 500 has been delayed for potholes, fires, and weather over the last five years. The race needs to hit 100 laps to become official.
13. In 2009 Matt Kenseth won a rain-shortened Daytona 500. The next year the Daytona 500 was interrupted for more than two hours because of a pothole in the track.
14. In 2012 rain shut down the race and then later that night Juan Pablo Montoya slammed into a jet dryer, igniting a fire that caused another delay.
15. UPDATED — Feb. 23, 11:25 p.m. ET: NASCAR used the Air Titan, a system designed to reduce track drying time, and resumed the race after about six hours of delays.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the Dayton 500 after the long rain delay.
- Rick Perry, who famously wanted to abolish the Energy Department, is saying at his confirmation hearing to lead the Energy Department he now rejects "recommending its elimination."
- Vladimir Putin has used KGB tactics to seize on a rift between the US and Turkey, an effort to expand Russia's influence and divide NATO.
- Been wondering why your friends now look like weird glamorous cartoons? That's thanks to Chinese selfie app Meitu. Say cheese 📸