2. Updated — Dec. 15, 9 a.m. ET:
The Mall at Short Hills was on lockdown Sunday night after a 30-year-old man was shot there, ABC News’ local-affiliate WABC reports.
According to the Star Ledger, the man was returning with his wife to their parked Range Rover after Christmas shopping when the incident occurred. The Hudson County man was pronounced dead at 11:45 p.m. Sunday at Morristown Medical Center, Essex County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Thomas Fennelly told reporters.
The victim went to open his door, when he was shot in the head. Police said they believe multiple shots were fired. The victim’s wife is not injured.
4. Police are currently still on scene at the mall.
Police still on scene in Short Hills Mall parking garage where shopper was shot dead in carjacking last night
5. The parking lot where the shooting incident occurred:
Short Hills Mall garage where was person was shot during car jacking tonight. Vic is in critical condition.
Police set up road blocks around the mall last night in search of the two shooters, who reportedly fled in the Range Rover. The search was still ongoing Monday morning.
The mall was put on lockdown as a precaution, but it was lifted at 10 p.m. It is now believed there is no threat to the mall, which normally closes early on Sunday, but was open for extended holiday shopping.
7. Many people who visited the mall Sunday or shop in the mall were alarmed by the news of the shooting:
Shooting at the Short hills Mall..Mall in Lockdown…..this is crazy
#RIPMont | Jamaican
It’s people shooting at short hills mall. Im stuck inside. Jesus take the wheel.
Someone shot at my favorite mall - Short Hills Mall in NJ
Millburn Mayor Sandra Haimoff said:
“Our police department is out there and I’m sure they’re doing everything that needs to be done. But it is upsetting and it’s unfortunate that this happened.”
Last month, the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus, N.J., had a shooting incident, where a lone gunmen randomly shot multiple rounds and later died from a self-inflicted wound. The mall was evacuated safely and no injuries were reported.
This is a developing story, please check back for more details.
- Hillary Clinton has officially accepted the Democratic party's presidential nomination with some fiery words for Donald Trump 🇺🇸
- A federal court struck down North Carolina's voting restrictions, ruling they intentionally made it harder for black people to vote.
- Four people in Florida are likely the first to contract the Zika virus from mosquitos in the US, the state's governor says.