1. UPDATED — Aug. 23, 2 a.m. ET:
3. At least one person was swept away by flooding, while others were buried in the landslides.
Among the dead was a 2-year-old boy who was buried in a landslide.
5. Japan’s crowded hilly regions are especially prone to damage from mudslides and flooding. Torrential rains before dawn Tuesday caused steep slopes to collapse in an area with several newly constructed homes.
7. Last year in Japan, a typhoon triggered landslides and flooding on Izu Oshima island, causing at least 35 deaths.
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Donald Trump keeps questioning polls and insisting he's winning — even as most show him behind nationally.
- At least 59 people were killed in an overnight militant attack at a police center in Quetta, Pakistani officials say.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏