1. UPDATED — Aug. 23, 2 a.m. ET:
3. At least one person was swept away by flooding, while others were buried in the landslides.
Among the dead was a 2-year-old boy who was buried in a landslide.
5. Japan’s crowded hilly regions are especially prone to damage from mudslides and flooding. Torrential rains before dawn Tuesday caused steep slopes to collapse in an area with several newly constructed homes.
7. Last year in Japan, a typhoon triggered landslides and flooding on Izu Oshima island, causing at least 35 deaths.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign is making an unprecedented play for Utah, a state that hasn't gone blue since 1964 🔵
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵
- People are trolling Eric Trump for apparently getting caught putting lemonade in a free water cup at In-N-Out.