1. UPDATED — Aug. 23, 2 a.m. ET:
3. At least one person was swept away by flooding, while others were buried in the landslides.
Among the dead was a 2-year-old boy who was buried in a landslide.
5. Japan’s crowded hilly regions are especially prone to damage from mudslides and flooding. Torrential rains before dawn Tuesday caused steep slopes to collapse in an area with several newly constructed homes.
7. Last year in Japan, a typhoon triggered landslides and flooding on Izu Oshima island, causing at least 35 deaths.
- Golf legend Arnold Palmer has died at 87. Known as "The King," his unusual style and charisma changed the game.
- Monday night's presidential debate may be the last hope for environmental activists who want climate in the national conversation.
- US officials have determined al-Qaeda likely influenced suspected New York City bomber Ahmad Khan Rahami.