2. Edward “Chip” Sarafin came out as gay Wednesday in Phoenix-based LGBT sports publication Compete Magazine. He said he had come out to his football coach and teammates last spring.
4. “It was really personal for me, and it benefited my peace of mind greatly,” he said about coming out to his Sun Devils teammates.
Sarafin is a walk-on player, meaning he’s not on scholarship. If he plays a game this year, he would be the first active gay football player to tell his story to the public. Last year, he was on the team as a reserve player.
Michael Sam came out in February after he finished his college career, and before he had been drafted for the NFL. He had come out to his teammates in Missouri while playing for his school.
7. Sun Devils Vice President of Athletics Ray Anderson tweeted that “the entire athletics department is extremely proud” of Sarafin.
8. Anderson also gave a statement:
The entire athletics department is extremely proud of Chip and is unequivocally supportive of him. His undergraduate degree in biomedical engineering, his pursuit of a master’s in the same field, his research involving football-related concussions, and his heavy involvement in the community with both youth sports in Arizona and the Tillman Scholars embodies all the characteristics that sets our student-athletes apart and allows our university to maintain an environment of inclusiveness and progression.
9. Football Head Coach Todd Graham also expressed support of Sarafin.
We are a brotherhood that is not defined by cultural and personal differences, but rather an individual’s commitment to the Sun Devil Way. Chip is a fifth-year senior and a Scholar Baller, a graduate and a master’s student. His commitment to service is unmatched and it is clear he is on his way to leading a successful life after his playing career, a goal that I have for every student-athlete. Diversity and acceptance are two of the pillars of our program, and he has full support from his teammates and the coaching staff.
10. Michael Sam also tweeted a congratulations note to Sarafin:
An earlier version of this article misstated the meaning of a walk-on player.
- Indiana votes on Tuesday, and it could be Ted Cruz's last big chance to end Trump's winning streak in the U.S. presidential race 🇺🇸
- Smash hit "Hamilton" received 16 Tony Award nominations, breaking the record held by "The Producers" and "Billy Elliot."
- A judge in Brazil has ordered WhatsApp blocked for 72 hours over the messaging service's recently encrypted data ❌📲