1. The 32-year-old Greenpeace activist and biologist, Ana Paula Maciel, has posed nude for Brazil’s Playboy.
“Our Activist in the Wild,” reads the coverline.
3. Those on board the ship became known as the Arctic 30 as they were put in Russian jail and accused of criminal acts.
Starting in November, many of the activists were granted and freed on bail.
4. Ana Paula Maciel was the first to be released from custody on Nov. 20 after Greenpeace paid her bail.
Above Ana Paula Maciel is greeted by her grandmother Ignez Maciel after arriving at Salgado Filho International Airport in Porto Alegre, Brazil, on December 28, 2013, weeks after she was granted bail by Russia.
6. The idea for the Brazilian activist to pose for Playboy was mentioned by a fashion photographer, André Sanseverino, to Maciel’s lawyer when she was still behind bars, facing criminal charges.
At first Maciel rejected the idea, but apparently had a change of heart while doing time, according to Vocativ. When Muciel was released in November, she met with Sanseverino in Brazil.
“André said I was an attractive woman, and I also took care to keep in shape, working out at the gym,” she said to Vocativ.
7. “I talked it over with the [Greenpeace] crew,” Maciel said. “Everyone backed me.”
She said the other Greenpeace activists encouraged her: “Go ahead and do it. Do it really well and do something good with the money.”
8. It has not been revealed how much Maciel made for the photoshoot, but she said she plans to use the money to fund her dream to start a wildlife shelter for birds and other endangered Brazilian fauna.
“I have invitations to speak in Brazil about environmental sustainability and wildlife preservation,” Maciel said when asked what her future holds. “I might do that for a while, depending on the fallout from the magazine. People recognize me in the streets now and tell me how much they support what I’m doing.”
Maciel also said she isn’t too worried about criticism over the spread. “I’m not worried about false moralism,” she said to Vocativ. “We live in a culture where nudity is accepted. Besides, if Globeleza can dance naked on television, why not me?”
- Donald Trump, who wrote a book about his ability to get deals done, lost in his highest stakes negotiation yet — the battered GOP health care bill.
- A viral Instagram post falsely claimed 14 black girls went missing over 24 hours in Washington, DC, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Now lawmakers are taking action.
- Apple says a hacking group that's threatening to wipe hundreds of millions of iPhones has not breached its iCloud system 📱
- Hi Stranger: A bizarre short film featuring a naked mumbling figurine is making everyone on the internet uncomfortable 🙃