1. Kathy Beitz is legally blind. But thanks to a technology called eSight, the new mom was able to see her first child just moments after delivery.
Kathy was allowed to borrow the eSight device — wearable electronic glasses that allow the legally blind to actually see — for the day.
2. This wasn’t just the first time Kathy was seeing her baby — it was the first time she was ever seeing any baby in her whole life. “For the first baby that I get to actually look at,” Kathy said, “being my own is very overwhelming.”
Kathy’s sister Yvonne, who uploaded the video to YouTube, told BuzzFeed that Kathy suffers from Stargardt disease, an inherited form of juvenile macular degeneration, and lost her vision as a child.
7. While Kathy saw her son on the day he was born, her sister Yvonne hopes Kathy will be able to watch him grow up. She’s started a campaign to help Kathy and others in the blind community get long-term access to eSight. Learn more at #MakeBlindnessHistory.
- Tennessee authorities have charged 2 minors with starting the massive wildfires that killed 14 people last month.
- Donald Trump has picked former WWE CEO Linda McMahon to lead the Small Business Administration
- At least 2 women say Stanford offered them money to close federal probes into its handling of sexual assault cases.
- Dozens of employees and patients say the US's biggest psychiatric chain locks up people for insurance money.