3. First, the Targaryen dragon attacks some cities and towns.
House Targaryen conquered Westeros three hundred years before the first episode of Game of Thrones takes place. The dragons they brought with them from their ancient homeland helped Aegon the Conqueror forge the Iron Throne from the swords of the lords they conquered. For three centuries, those dragons kept the Seven Kingdoms under Targaryen rule — and then the dragons died out.
4. The Stark wolf, Lannister lion, and Baratheon stag then defeat the Targaryen dragon together during Robert’s Rebellion.
Two decades before the first episode takes place, a Targaryen prince kidnaps Lyanna Stark, the fiancée of Robert Baratheon and sister of Eddard Stark. After Eddard’s father and brother are murdered by the Mad King Aerys while petitioning for her release, the Starks and the Baratheons rise up in rebellion against the Iron Throne. House Lannister joins the rebels late in the war, sacking King’s Landing and killing the last Targaryen king and his family.
5. Finally, all of Westeros bows to the newly-crowned Baratheon stag.
After the death of the Mad King, Robert Baratheon claims the Iron Throne by virtue of a distant Targaryen ancestor. With his fiancée Lyanna Stark murdered during the war, King Robert marries Cersei Lannister to secure his reign and names Eddard Stark as Warden of the North. The last Targaryen children, Viserys and Daenerys, escape overseas into exile. Peace returns to the Seven Kingdoms at long last.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- President Barack Obama credited disaster officials for their swift reponse during his tour of flood-ravaged Louisiana.
- Stanford has banned hard liquor at on-campus undergraduate student parties in wake of the Brock Turner scandal.
- Facebook says it mistakenly suspended 2 libertarian groups. It's the network's latest case of suddenly removing content.