5. He changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol and made the industry revolve around it.
Fed up with his record label trying to control him, Prince became “The Love Symbol” so he could record more music outside his contract—technically they only signed some dude named “Prince”. Genius.
13. Prince is a never-ending virtual paradox, a constant digital riddle.
In ‘97, Prince embraced the internet—he was the first major artist to release an entire album, “Crystal Ball,” on it. Today, Prince rejects the internet—his work always seem to be just out of reach. (Seriously, try YouTube’ing any of his music videos. We’ll start counting: 1, 2, 3, 4ever and ever…)
18. Prince crafted a pop song so damn catchy it didn’t even need a bass line.
That’s like, unheard of.
19. Make that two pop songs so damn catchy.
Again, no bass line required to physically propel you to the dance floor every single time. WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY?!
24. Like the time he shredded this solo, threw his guitar up… AND IT SIMPLY VANISHES INTO THIN AIR!
At 3:28 is when this wizard’s solo starts, at 6:05 is when the magic happens.
True story: When you Google “best guitar solo ever”…
…Prince is the first suggestion.
26. Even when you don’t know he’s there, he sounds amazing.
That electric guitar on “Like A Prayer”? Prince.
He piggyback rides his way to a stage.
That Kanye West lyric will make a lot more sense to you at 2 minutes in.
30. He didn’t give us the “Batman” soundtrack we need, but the one we deserve.
AKA, one of the best soundtracks ever.
32. He wrote the best make-out song of all time ever.
Look, we can argue about this all night… while we’re making out!
33. And the best break-up song of all time ever.
Prince wrote this stellar masterpiece.
35. He gave birth to Carmen Electra.
On the first day, Prince discovered a girl named Tara Leigh Patrick from Ohio. On the seventh day, Prince rested.
He also gave birth to Sheila E., Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, and Susanna Hoffs. Newsflash: Babes LUV Prince.
37. Prince has complete reign over all meteorological conditions.
When Prince performed the Super Bowl Halftime Show in 2007, it had started raining actual physical drops of rain while he sang “Purple Rain.”
- Scientists and supporters marched to fight against perceived hostility from Trump — with delightfully nerdy signs 🤓
- North Korea threatened Australia with a nuclear strike over its alliance with the United States.
- The police officer killed by a terrorist on the Champs-Élysées in Paris is being remembered as a defender of LGBT rights and a patriot.
- In 2014, #Girlboss became the woman's career bible. Now, Sophia Amoruso is doubling down on career-focused feminism with a new company.