20 Portraits That Redefine Beauty.
Every day we see people on display on magazine covers and billboards and we KNOW we are not reflected in those images. It's time we own our truths, imperfections, and fierceness. Strides are being taken, think Dove, Lane Bryant, and Kenneth Cole, toward showing diversity but that's still through the lens of a professional camera. What about a campaign from the people?
A New York City contemporary dance company is challenging the notion that there's only one ideal beauty. Stemming from its recent art exhibit/fashion show ON DISPLAY, the company asked people all over the globe to share a portrait of themselves and own their truths, imperfections, and fierceness; to explain what being on display means to them—to show up and be seen for exactly who they are, which is much more than their mere features. So, we ask again: Is your beauty worthy of being on display? We say YES.
Here are 20 portraits of people who are redefining beauty:
1. "#MeOnDisplay means I am in focus" - Jerron Herman
2. “#MeOnDisplay means not being judged by our appearance so that we are all free.” – Anne Landry
3. “#MeOnDisplay means I am me” – Peter Trojic
4. “#MeOnDisplay means I am heard, understood, and that I matter.” – Taijah Walker
5. “#MeOnDisplay means going against my grain and facing not being comfortable with any attention.” – Zazel Loven
6. “#MeOnDisplay means I am dynamic.” –Rishma Dhanraj
7. “#MeOnDisplay means I am redefining ‘bombshell.” – Leslie Freeman
8. “#MeOnDisplay means being unashamed.” –Rocio DeFreest
9. “#MeOnDisplay means unflinching determination and unconditional love.” –Kim Olstad
10. “#MeOnDisplay means I am colorful.” –Nico Gonzales
11. “#MeOnDisplay means I am whole.” –Rachel Handler
12. “#MeOnDisplay means I am owning my age and my fierceness.” –Heidi Latsky
13. “#MeOnDisplay means I am young at heart.” –Nan Mann
14. “#MeOnDisplay means having no guarantee of how things will turn out. But going for It anyway…” –Lawrence Carter-Long
15. “#MeOnDisplay means I am beautiful and sassy.” –Kelly Gillespie
16. “#MeOnDisplay means I have no excuses.” -Maria Schirmer
17. “#MeOnDisplay means I can’t stop. Won’t stop!” –David Harrell
18. “#MeOnDisplay means whoever thought I could EVER do this either before or after I had my right leg amputated?” -Marshall Cohen
19. “#MeOnDisplay means changing expectations.”- Carmen Schoenster
20. “#MeOnDisplay proves anything is possible for people of all abilities.” -Becky Curran
Share what being on display means for you by posting your own portrait and use the hashtag #MeOnDisplay. To learn more, visit http://heidilatskydance.com/meondisplay/.