Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’d know that South Korea is bringing their A game to the world of beauty.
With K-Pop bands infiltrating the hearts and tumblrs of many a teenage girl, and gorgeous, glossy-eyed Korean models dominating fashion campaigns, it’s no wonder we’re taking notes.
From eye bags to gradient lips, here’s a round up of some of the most popular trends straight from Seoul.
2. Dewy Skin
A glowing complexion is the first step towards a fresh and rested look. A Korean innovation, the air cushion is the perfect product for flawless looking skin.
What’s an air cushion? A sponge soaked with foundation encased in an easy-to-use, portable compact. This makes it great for touch-ups, too.
I’m using IOPE’s Air Cushion in Shimmer Beige. With an added benefit of SPF 50, not only does it even out the skin-tone, it also protects the skin from harmful UV rays.
4. Straight Eyebrows
The straight brow can be found atop the eyes of many a K-pop idol. Possessing no arch, these brows are meant to look sweet and youthful. Warning: faking this look is not for the faint of heart.
Personally, I’m a fan of following your natural brow shape, but if you’ve been craving a straight brow without commitment, look no further.
1. Using a brush, cover the ends of your eyebrows from the arch downwards with a thin layer of glue. Wait to dry.
2. Apply concealer over the glue to cover the hairs.
4. Draw in the rest of the hair with an eyebrow powder or pencil. I’m using Essence’s Eyebrow Stylist Set in Brunette. Blend concealer as much as possible.
7. Aegyo Sal
Eye bag sufferers rejoice! Eye bags are cute in South Korea and there’s a term for it, too. “Aegyo Sal” (loosely translated as “cute/winsome skin”) describes the fat pockets under the eyes that are thought to make the eyes appear rounder, fuller and younger. Don’t have ‘em? Fake it.
1. Apply a highlight shade right below the lower lash line. I used Venus in the Urban Decay Matte Palette.
2. Using a matte brown, carve in your “bag” around half a centimeter below your lash line. I used Urban Decay’s Faint. Blend with a cotton bud.
Sadly, these bags are not to be confused with dark circles, which still aren’t classified as cute - yet.
To achieve it, simply extend your liner following the slope of the eye downwards, rather than flicking upwards as done with a cat eye.
For shadow, I used 3CE’s Glam Cream Shadow in Golden Nude up to the crease.
15. Orange Blush
Forget pink. Orange — in its incarnations of peach, coral and tangerine — will give you that pretty flush that makes your heart sing.
17. Gradient Lips
Cherry popsicle lips of childhood can be yours once more and you don’t even need to take a trip to the corner store.
1. Apply skin toned concealer or foundation over your lips.
2. Using a brush, apply a pink to the centre of the lips and blend outwards. I used a combination of coral and red from the Maqpro Petite Fard Creme Palette in PP22.
- Top Mexican soccer player Alan Pulido has been kidnapped outside of his hometown in Tamaulipas, a high-crime state.
- Donald Trump mused on America's energy future in a North Dakota speech. Some of his vision just doesn't make sense.
- Lights have turned Australia's most iconic buildings into seriously psychedelic works of art for the annual Vivid Sydney festival.