1. The New York teen who traveled 12 hours to take clean water to people in need.
2. The 20-year-old who's using her illnesses to raise awareness for other sick young people.
5. The twentysomething who gave up a high-paying job to follow his passion for education.
6. The 28-year-old marine activist who's trying to change the way we view sharks.
7. This college student who is using her programming skills to fight cancer.
8. This 30-year-old who is providing meals to hungry people around the world by selling bags.
Like these civilian millennials, the Marines are deeply committed to bettering the world through service.
* Thumbnail image via Thinkstock