1. Let's start with the obvious...
2. Bordeaux is absolutely gorgeous.
3. From the 18th century architecture...
4. ...to the lively markets...
5. ...the southwestern French city is a complete stunner.
6. It has spectacular monuments...
7. ...beautiful little squares...
8. ...and trendy neighborhoods, such as Darwin, an alternative space created in former military barracks.
9. The city is also a true cyclist's heaven.
12. If you're a fan of contemporary art, the CAPC, a museum located in a former wine warehouse, is here for you.
13. And so is the Base Sous-Marine (the submarine base), a World War II vestige that now hosts photo and art exhibits.
14. Bordeaux is the birthplace of the canelé, one of the most delightful pastries in the world.
16. Bordeaux is definitely THE best place to get drunk: it's the largest wine growing region in France and produces some of the most prestigious wines in the world.
17. Speaking of wine, Saint Emilion, a beautiful village half an hour out of the city, makes some of the best wine in the world.
18. The ocean is also just a short drive away from the city.
19. And so is the largest dune in Europe and its amazing sunsets.
Dune du Pilat