1. The Greater Manchester Police (GMP) reported their first emo hate crime this week, under a new category targeting alternative subcultures.
Attacks based on subcultural identity are now people treating like hate crimes against race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity.
4. The new hate crime category comes after pressure from the Sophie Lancaster Foundation.
It’s a charity for the 20-year-old goth who died following an attack on her and her boyfriend in 2007. They were walking through Stubbeyless Park when they were both assaulted. Lancaster suffered severe head injuries and never regained consciousness. Her attackers were sentenced a year later; the judge recognized her death as a hate crime.
- Donald Trump is the last Republican standing. Ohio Gov. John Kasich has ended his presidential run 🇺🇸
- North Carolina's law blocking trans people from some restrooms violates U.S. civil rights, the Justice Dept. says.
- Alberta, Canada, has declared a provincial state of emergency over a massive fire near Fort McMurray. The area is under mandatory evacuation.