1. The Greater Manchester Police (GMP) reported their first emo hate crime this week, under a new category targeting alternative subcultures.
Attacks based on subcultural identity are now people treating like hate crimes against race, religion, disability, sexual orientation or transgender identity.
4. The new hate crime category comes after pressure from the Sophie Lancaster Foundation.
It’s a charity for the 20-year-old goth who died following an attack on her and her boyfriend in 2007. They were walking through Stubbeyless Park when they were both assaulted. Lancaster suffered severe head injuries and never regained consciousness. Her attackers were sentenced a year later; the judge recognized her death as a hate crime.
- Today's the final day of the Democratic National Convention — Hillary Clinton is preparing for the biggest night of her life 🇺🇸
- Plotters of Turkey's failed coup were unhappy with the government's attempt to make peace with Kurdish separatist rebels, a document obtained by BuzzFeed News shows.
- More than 29,000 people have signed a petition for British scientists to keep access to EU projects after Brexit.