1. Remember Hit Clips?
The dictionary-worthy definition: They were small media players, created by Tiger Electronics in 1999. They played about a minute of lo-fi stereo recordings (typically just a chorus or two). They were awesome — and totally the influenced the way we’d listen to music in the years to come (on the cusp of a new millennium!).
7. Literally nothing is more 2000 than this.
It’s like a Limited Too exploded.
29. They weren’t very loud, but man, did they make the school-bus ride enjoyable.
There were only about 30 clips to choose from (all of the Top 40 female pop star/boy band variety), so everyone listened to the same music. Win-win.
30. Too bad they sound like this when you try to play them today.
That’s supposed to be Backstreet Boys’ “The Shape of My Heart.”
- Turkey's democratically elected Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is stepping down amid rifts with President Erdogan.
- The UK heads to the polls today, with a race for London mayor, a fight for the Scottish parliament, and council elections across England.
- Alberta, Canada, has declared a provincial state of emergency over a massive fire near Fort McMurray. The area is under mandatory evacuation.