8. You knew the best PSAs by heart.
The endangered dugong, the teen hotline, adult ADHD. The list goes on and on.
13. John Peel was your god.
We were all going to be him one day!!
16. And if there was any danger of your station losing its signal, you fought like hell to keep it.
Commercial radio stations have a long history of trying to buy FM signals from schools. Universities, with growing frequency, have complied because they view the FM signal as unnecessary — especially in the internet era. But you wouldn’t let this happen, because tradition and stuff. (And sometimes Chuck D of Public Enemy would show up to support you?)
Fight for yo right to BROADCAST.
17. You actually know what CMJ stands for.
It’s not “Country Music J-Something.”
19. You were constantly astonished by the stories of the people who stopped by your station in its “golden days.”
Or you were a DJ during those “golden days” and have these great stories. Nirvana in 1988? Those pretentious twentysomethings were on to something.
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- The UK Supreme Court ruled that it's legal for the government to keep couples apart because of their income.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏