So it should come as no surprise that his interview with journalist Elliott Wilson at New York University was amazing. The conversation was the fifth installment of Wilson’s #CRWN series, presented by Myspace. And it was bananas.
1. The room exploded.
Within a few hours of going on sale, tickets for the conversation sold out — that’s over 800 attendees! The crowd was dressed to the nines and super stoked, with some kids lining up as early as 1 p.m. — a cool EIGHT HOURS before the interview. Many were hoping for a surprise performance, and though that didn’t happen, they sure didn’t leave disappointed.
3. Especially the second Drake walked onto the stage and everything became “Champagne Papi.”
Disclaimer: He didn’t actually enjoy the beverage.
4. Because he decided to give it to a mom.
The coolest mom ever, probably second only to Drake’s mom.
5. LOOK AT HOW MUCH DRAKE LOVES MOMS.
What a gentleman. Swoon.
6. Oh, and then there was all the amazing stuff he said:
“I just wanna venture away from what everybody expects, and still give an enjoyable body of work”
Drake: inspiration factory.
8. “People may say about me, ‘Oh man, everything’s so emotional,’ but if I didn’t write about that, what the fuck else would I write about?”
Nothing, Drake. Nothing.
14. Which is probably why he’s, like, super confident these days.
Drake loves & respects Kendrick and loves GKMC. He’s saying he’s just not worried about Kendrick. He considers Ye is only completion.
16. He even (sort of) called out the rap community:
No new friends, etc.
17. Honesty was the name of the game; just listen to the crowd’s reaction when Drake asked Eliott Wilson if he remembers the Kendrick verse on “Control”:
Spoiler: He doesn’t, and neither does the crowd. And you know what? Drizzy’s OK with that!
21. And this fun factoid:
the most notable part about #CRWN was @Drake informing us that the real @GhostfaceKillah acknowledges @BigGhostFASE’s existence
24. But in all seriousness, just never forget Champagne Mami.
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and was over with in 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- After the health care fail, it's unclear if Republicans and Trump will find consensus on other big ticket items.
- People in Belarus took to the streets and opposed a "social parasites" tax on people who have been unemployed for six months.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨