2. He fronts the one band teens and critics can agree on.
Possibly ever! Bright Eyes was the sole project of Oberst before getting a full band. He remains the only consistant member. If you can name someone else in Bright Eyes, you are probably a better person than most.
3. He’s literally a poetic genius.
Especially if you’re fifteen and have no idea who Leonard Cohen is.
Now a mother takes loans out, sends her kids off to colleges.
Her family’s reduced to names on a shopping list.
While, a coroner kneels beneath a great, wooden crucifix.
He knows there’s worse things than being alone.
And so I’ve learned to retreat at the first sign of danger.
I mean, why wait around, if it’s just to surrender?
An ambition, I’ve found, can lead only to failure.
I do not read the reviews.
No, I am not singing for you.
- Let’s Not Shit Ourselves (To Love or To be Loved)
Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band started in 2007 and is still going strong.
Desaparecidos is Oberst’s heavier (albeit, emo) band that recently reunited.
Monsters of Folk is Conor’s supergroup: My Morning Jacket’s Jim James and She & Him’s M. Ward are in the band.
Before the Faint were the Faint, they were Norman Bailer. A young Oberst played drums.
7. He is constantly compared to Bob Dylan.
Bobby D is soooo sentimental.
Craig Ferguson: See, I love your work, and I’m reading that they’re saying you’re the new Bob Dylan, how does that stuff kinda get you? Do you not like it?
Conor Oberst: Uh, I mean… There’s certainly worse things to be called.
9. He wrote the perfect young love song.
If you were born in the late ’80s/early ’90s, someone you dated in high school probably said “this song is about us.” And meant it.
- Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit: no single market, parliamentary vote on the final deal, and a warning to the EU not to punish the UK.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Year's Day has confessed to the shooting, Istanbul's governor said
- At least 40 Democratic lawmakers are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- The police report featuring Kim Kardashian West's first-hand account of the Paris robbery has been released.