Recipe for Chocolate Mandarin Orange Cake
2 cans (15 oz. each) DOLE® Mandarin Oranges
1 box (2 layer) devil's food cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 orange, peel grated (optional)
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O® Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
2 cups COOL WHIP® Whipped Topping, thawed
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate
2 cans (15 oz. each) DOLE Mandarin Oranges
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2 (9-inch) cake pans with cooking spray. Drain each can of mandarin oranges, keeping each, fruit and syrup, reserved separately.
2. Combine cake mix, juice from one mandarin orange can, eggs, oil, and orange peel in a large bowl; beat 2 minutes.
3. Pour cake mix into prepared cake pans. Layer mandarin oranges from one can over each cake and gently press them into the cake batter so they are submerged.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto wire rack; cool completely.
5. Pour 1/2 cup reserved juice from second can of oranges in bowl with pudding mix; whisk for 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Remove 12 orange slices for garnish from second can and dry with paper towel; set aside. Fold in whipped topping and remaining mandarin oranges. Spread mandarin frosting on top of first layer of cake and out to the edges. Place second layer on top of first layer.
6. Heat cream in small sauce pan until just beginning to steam (do not boil). Remove from stove and stir in chocolate. Stir until well blended. Pour chocolate mixture over cake and garnish with reserved mandarin oranges. Refrigerate half hour before serving. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
Recipe republished from Dole.