3. “Manly” names for “feminine” fashions are everywhere — even for things that are gender neutral. Consider, for example:
16. After all, when female factory workers ditched billowing skirts for more practical attire that wouldn’t get caught in machinery, no one called their pants “wants” or their trousers “wousers.”
Women who wore pants on the job during World War I earned the name “slack girls” for their gender-bending uniform. (To be fair, “wouser girls” might have been a term worth getting behind).
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Dozens of employees and patients say the US's biggest psychiatric chain locks up people for insurance money.
- "I do like him. I love getting his ideas." Donald Trump says he's asked President Obama for advice on cabinet appointments.
- Airline confirms there are no survivors in crash of passenger plane in Pakistan that was carrying at least 47 people.
- Donald Trump was named Time's "Person of the Year" and people immediately started making memes.