1. Elvis Presley is remembered like this:
The performer that scared a nation.
2. With one of the most passionate fandoms of all time.
3. But for a short time Elvis had to put his career on hold.
4. In 1958, he was drafted into military service.
5. According to The Elvis Encyclopedia by Adam Victor, Elvis said “The Army can do anything it wants with me.”
6. And that he hoped to be treated just like any soldier.
7. Any soldier with a photographer following him…
8. That meant getting his hair cut.
9. And being dressed in his army uniform.
10. Because he was not in Special Services, he was not able to give musical performances.
11. Or remain in touch with his adoring public.
12. So he made friends with his fellow soldiers.
13. And played for them in private instead.
14. After training at Fort Hood, Elvis was assigned to the 3rd Armored Division in Friedberg, Germany.
15. Which is where he met 14-year-old Priscilla Beaulieu. Who he later married.
16. At the end of his time in the army, Elvis held a press conference.
17. Fans surrounded the building in hopes of catching a glimpse of the star.
18. It was announced that Presley had received his full Sergeant stripes.
19. And he was asked about his decision to serve as a soldier.
“I was in a funny position. Actually, that’s the only way it could be. People were expecting me to mess up, to goof up in one way or another. They thought I couldn’t take it and so forth, and I was determined to go to any limits to prove otherwise, not only to the people who were wondering, but to myself”.
20. The next day he would leave Germany with Priscilla.
21. And on March 5, he was discharged from the army.
- Donald Trump accused former Miss Universe Alicia Machado of being in a sex tape, calling her "disgusting." He's appeared in a softcore porn.
- The hair vitamins promoted by the Kardashians make "largely inaccurate" nutrient claims, according to lab tests.
- In a newly released video deposition, Trump implied he planned to call Mexicans "rapists" when he announced his presidential run.