Fashion models’ measurements are crucial. They’re also controversial.
With precious few exceptions to the industry rule, female models stand (before heels) between 5’8” and 5’11”; male models, 5’11” or taller. (Similar height guidelines are listed in the helpful/dream-crushing “become a model” section on many top agencies’ websites. You can be 5’7”-ish only if you’re 14 years old and still growing — or if you’re Kate Moss.)
With similarly precious few exceptions (and thus discounting the plus-size sector) to the industry rule, female models weigh in between 90 lbs. and 120 lbs; male models, 120 lbs. to 160 lbs. That’s according to leading resource models.com, at least — weight requirements are not so easy to find listed publicly. But is such rigidity for the best? We asked well-dressed fashion fans at Lincoln Center how they felt models should measure up — their thoughts on the ideal weight and/or height for a model working the runways, campaigns, and editorial shoots.
1. Our survey says: Some showgoers remain idealistic.
Which is nice.
3. This sort of argument is easy to make when you’re working as a model, like this surveyee.
4. But most folks seemed to know their stuff.
5. And agree with the industry’s current status quo.
6. Answering in good ol’ American pounds.
(Note: He originally answered 90 pounds, but rounded up for the photo op so he didn’t “seem terrible.”)
8. And those crazy European kilograms.
(That’s approximately 110 pounds, for folks scared of the metric system.)
(And that’s about 120 pounds, which is fair game only if the model in question is breathing in.)
10. Ironically enough, a 6’0” model might be too tall.
And at 115 pounds on such a heighty frame, quite possibly only visible from certain angles.
11. Some skewed toward the more “reasonable” end of the height/weight scale.
12. And many more pushed the boundaries, weight-wise, a little. Because what’s 5 or so pounds between friends?
A Thai food takeout dinner (double order of scallion pancakes — yes, please) delivered with free prawn crackers and a bottle of white wine, basically. And that can’t be a bad thing. Excuse me while I go order Thai food right now, in fact.
That’s basically 5’8” and 130 pounds — a veritable catch-22 situation: Chunky heels needed to make the grade height-wise, but an absence of chunky heels required to make the grade weight-wise. WHAT TO DO? Eat more Thai food. I’m so there.
About 132 pounds.
16. A generous set of statistics.
17. A not wholly serious set of statistics.
18. And one would-be model putting her own measurements out there.
That’s the spirit!
19. In fact, here’s some more positivity to finish up on.
I mean, I just ate some Thai food, but if you insist.
- President Trump signed executive orders today to advance the controversial Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines.
- 2017 Oscar nominations for Best Picture include: "La La Land," "Moonlight," "Arrival," and "Hidden Figures" 🎥 🎬
- White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer repeated claims that the inauguration was the most watched ever. But the numbers (still) don't make sense.
- Britain's Supreme Court has ruled that Prime Minister Theresa May needs to consult parliament before triggering Brexit.