From Miranda July on the project’s website:
WE THINK ALONE has given me the excuse to read my friends’ emails and the emails of some people I wish I was friends with and for better or worse it’s changed the way I see all of them. I think I really know them now. But our inner life is not actually the same thing as our life on the computer — a quiet person might !!!! a lot. A person with a busy mind might write almost nothing. And of course while none of these emails were originally intended to be read by me (much less you*) they were all carefully selected by their authors in response to my list of email genres — so self-portraiture is quietly at work here.
Each week’s emails have a different theme. This weeks theme was “Money.” Here are the emails from Kirsten Dunst, Kareem Abul-Jabbar, Kate and Laura Mulleavy — sisters and founders of the fashion label Rodarte — and Lena Dunham.
2. Kirsten Dunst’s:
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s:
4. Kate and Laura Mulleavy’s:
5. Lena Dunham’s:
If you are wondering if Lena Dunham ever did get a couch, she answered that question on twitter:
- Fyre Festival — organized by Ja Rule and billed as a luxury event — has turned into a total shitshow and people are livid 💸😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- The new leader of Marine Le Pen's National Front party in France has stepped down amid accusations of Holocaust denial.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯