1. Some spotted an opportunity for political satire.
Iain Duncan Smith MP
GOVERNMENT ADVICE: If your home is in the path of the storm, head to your second or third home for safety. #ukstorm
2. Or for a dig at Macca.
Apparently, storm “St Jude” will be upgraded to storm “Hey Jude” if it goes on and on for about 17 choruses. #ukstorm #stormageddon #StJude
3. Or at southerners.
All this #stormageddon hysteria is typical of Southern jessies. In Scotland we just call it ‘autumn’ and get on with it.
4. Others exaggerated the storm’s severity for comic effect.
The Rising Sun Pub
UK storm. First pics from Devon #hurricane #BritishWeather #UKStorm2013
Just finished building this, just in time for #ukstorm. One place left. Must be an animal lover. Apply within.
Maybe we should send Bruce Willis and his chums into space, in humanity’s last desperate attempt to prevent #stormageddon
6. There were the usual fake photos.
Unbelievable photo sent from @BBCNews helicopter of #ukstorm surge in London. Wow!
7. Which somehow never stop being funny, no matter how many times you see them.
@misslaidlaw @bobsitch @hrtbps @BBCNews this is the view from my window. http://t.co/0ADnOXXjm9
8. Inevitably, one person won Twitter by taking the meta view and parodying everyone else.
Here’s how the storm will (probably) play out on Twitter tomorrow. #UKStorm
10. There was a lot of fun to be had with the concept of middle-class panic buying.
BREAKING NEWS: Reports of panic buying in Chelsea. Waitrose is out of swan liver patÃ© & organic lavender-infused olive oil. Mayhem. #ukstorm
Ivan the Seagull
Just panic bought (nicked) three kit kats and a jar of marmalade. Two kit kats have already blown away. Fucking apocalypse. #ukstorm
12. Other people referenced popular culture.
Don’t want to alarm anyone, but I’ve just seen this outside my window. #ukstorm
13. (Extra special shout-out for the Sharknado gag).
It’s getting rough up in Yorkshire. #UKStorm2013 http://t.co/lToL7DUK7G
14. Oh, and everyone basically made the same sarcastic joke. Thankfully it was a good one.
First photos of the catastrophic storm damage in London emerging.
The terror has begun….. #ukstorm #GodSaveUs
Itâ€™s all kicking off. #ukstorm
DAMN THIS WEATHER!!! WHY???!! *shakes fist at the wind* #ukstorm
15. Finally, one person articulated the only sensible reaction to the storm.
Let’s all go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint and wait for all this to blow over #ukstorm #StJude
16. Apart from maybe this one.
I’m going to build a blanket fort in preparation for #stormageddon