2. But that didn’t deter 170,000 people from descending on Worthy Farm, geared up for what was certain to be the sunniest, most glorious Glastonbury ever!
4. Oh dear.
10. Given the whole “peak beard” phenomenon, it was quite possibly the beardiest Glastonbury of all time.
11. The World Cup exerted an influence, as evidenced by this creative use of “referee spray”.
12. And the celebrity showing was strong. Here’s Bradley Cooper watching Metallica.
13. And here he is hanging out with Noel Gallagher and Lars Ulrich.
17. This is her watching Ed Sheeran.
18. And here’s Sophie Turner, who plays Williams’ on-screen sister Sansa Stark in Game Of Thrones.
19. Music-wise, Haim on Friday were an early highlight.
23. For a while there things got pretty grim.
24. But then the storm passed, Lily Allen came on and everything was OK again.
26. The sun came out and people got a bit smug.
27. Arcade Fire divided opinion with their Friday night headline set.
28. Some people loved it, others thought it dragged just a touch.
29. At some point, Skrillex happened.
34. In the event, they smashed it.
35. Though since the start of their set clashed with the Colombia vs Uruguay match, there were some tough decisions to be made at home.
36. All the pre-show grumbling about them being too heavy for Glastonbury ended up seeming a bit silly.
40. There was a lot of headbanging.
41. Bassist Rob Trujillo did his weird crab walk thing.
42. Lars Ulrich certainly seemed to enjoy himself. He told the crowd:
I came down here last night and I’ve walked every corner of this festival, and let me tell you, there is no place like this on this fucking earth. Metallica loves you and we hope to see you another fucking time!