1. Your “look” was based on Oli Sykes, Gerard Way, and the Suicide Girls.
For girls, that meant having a big side-fringes, dyed hair, panda eyes, pale skin, checkered shirts, lip piercings, skinny jeans, and plimsolls. For boys, that meant… the same.
4. Your bought your skateboard from Limit in Basildon.
10. Thurrock Music Festival was the only festival in Essex that didn’t suck.
Sikth, Million Dead and The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster all played in a field in Orsett and you’re still not sure how that happened.
11. You could get in to some over-18 nights, but you were marked with a black cross that screamed “I’m an underage loser” to everybody there.
Of course, this changed when being “Straight Edge” became cool a few years later. At that point, you seriously considered getting a black cross tattoo.
13. But you soon upgraded to The Grand Hotel Basement/JunkClub.
Where you pretended to be in Skins by listening to The Gossip and sniffing poppers.
15. And nothing could beat an underage rock night at The Hermit in Brentwood.
But you could only go if your parents agreed to give you a lift and a tenner for the three Red Bulls you’d drink.