30 Pet Products From Amazon That May Not Be Exciting, But You’ll Probably Find Indispensable
Are poop bags exciting? Nope. Do you absolutely need them anyway? Heck yes.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
Hey there! Did you know that Amazon's app has exclusive features that lets you scan barcodes to check prices IRL, use your phone’s camera to search for items with a ~single tap~, track orders in real time, and more? Download it here for free and receive $5 off your first in-app purchase.
1. A bag of doggy dental chews from Milk-Bone designed to help your pup’s pearly whites stay strong, protect them from tartar buildup, and keep their breath fresh as a proverbial daisy. One a day can help enormously on the oral hygiene front – especially if your doggo isn’t big on actual toothbrushing.
2. A set of pet steps to give your furry friends a literal leg up. Small pup? Older pet whose joints aren’t quite what they used to be? Cat who simply desires the use of a personal red carpet at all times? They'll all be able to climb up to the couch for cuddles with ease. These foldable, storable steps can support pets of up to 150 to 200 pounds, depending on the stair size you spring for.
3. A three-pack of Greenies Pill Pockets, because who has the time or inclination to fight with their pet over making sure they actually take their medication? Speaking from experience, these pill pockets are legit life-savers; they taste just like treats (in this case, chicken-flavored ones), so all you have to do is tuck your pet’s meds into them and they’ll gobble them right up.
4. A three-pack of Resolve pet stain and odor carpet cleaner, because pets are messy, and if you have them, your rugs are GOING to need a lot of TLC – no ifs, ands, or buts. I have cats. They barf. A lot. But after a few spritzes of this stuff – which, by the way, is absolutely safe for both pets and kids alike – and a blot with a damp cloth, and it’s like nothing ever happened. Magic!
5. A pair of stainless-steel bird feeder dishes perfect for little birdy mealtimes. They’re not fancy, but they easily screw onto the sides of your feathery pal’s cage with a wingnut and washers; they’re easy to remove and clean; and honestly, so much can go wrong with high tech bird feeders that sometimes, simpler is better.
6. A silent small pet exercise wheel so you can give your teeniest friends the exercise they need without constantly gritting your teeth against the continuous drone of an annoying *squeaksqueaksqueak!* noise. Made of acrylic, it’s safe for your favorite hamster or gerbil – and also easy to clean. (Small pets are messy. I don’t make the rules.)
7. A polo-style ThunderShirt anxiety vest that’ll help your pupper feel safe in stressful situations. This wraparound vest applies gentle pressure around your furry friend, which in turn can aid in alleviating fear or anxiety during thunderstorms, fireworks, travel, or even episodes of separation anxiety. It’s sort of like a wearable, weighted blanket for dogs.
8. Some lavender-scented poop bags, because cleaning up after your doggo doesn’t have to stink (literally). These little baggies come 15 bags to a roll and in packages of eight or 18 rolls; they’re compatible with most bag dispenser leash attachments; and, crucially, they’re leak-proof. They’re also available in an unscented version, if you prefer to keep your fragrance usage to a minimum.
9. And a poop bag dispenser that attaches directly to your leash, so you can keep those cleanup essentials close at hand. This option pops right open, making for easy loading and re-loading, and the strap is adjustable so it’ll fit any leash. Bonus: It also comes with one roll of 15 poop bags!
10. A two-pack of Poop-Off bird dropping remover spray that’ll help make keeping your bird’s cage clean THAT MUCH easier. All you need to do is spray it and wait a few minutes for it to start working; after that, scrubbing up will be a breeze. It works on droppings resulting from a wide variety of avian diets – and it’s not just for cages, either: Tons of reviewers say it works great on things like carpets, too.
11. Some timothy grass chew balls to give your rabbit, hamster, or other small pet something to nibble on that isn’t, y’know, something they’re not supposed to be eating. They’re toys! They’re good for dental hygiene! They’re environmentally friendly and biodegradable! Everybody wins!
12. A pair of nail clippers with a safety guard so you can keep your clawsome pal’s sharpest bits in check without fear of accidentally hurting them. These ones are for larger dogs, but I have a similar set of clippers I use to keep my cats’ sharp little claws trimmed. The safety guard is a godsend – it prevents you giving your pet too close a shave, which is all the more important when you have a squirmy little furball in your arms.
13. A Neater Feeder pet food bowl that’ll keep mealtime mess to a minimum. This dual-ended bowl is elevated so your dog or cat doesn’t have to bend down in order to get their nom on; what’s more, it’s got a shield around the back to help prevent food or water from splattering out.
14. A Chom Chom roller pet hair remover, because everything you own doesn’t have to be covered in hair just because your pet is prone to shedding. This handy little device gathers up every last bit of hair on its brush-like roller and deposits it in a little compartment you can empty at your leisure – no batteries or sticky papers required.
15. Furniture shields to protect your upholstery from your pet’s fearsome claws. The clear plastic sheets are adhesive; additionally, they utilize twist pins to keep them in place. Once they’re installed, your cat or pup will no longer be able to shred the sides of your couch with an errant swipe – all without ruining the actual look of said couch.
16. A Chuckit dog toy launcher, so you can make sure your long-legged companions get all the fun and exercise they need. It might look like it’s just a plastic stick with a cup on the end, but somehow, it enables you to throw your pup’s favorite tennis ball astonishingly long distances without wearing out your own arm. Also: No more dog slobber on your hands!
17. A Paw Plunger that’ll make cleaning your pupper’s muddy paws a breeze. Just fill it with water, then gently insert one of your pet’s paws and move it up and down. The super-soft bristles in the jar will scrub all the dirt away without hurting your pal – and when you’re done, all the muck remains in the jar and can simply be tossed out for easy disposal.
18. A squeeze pump-operated fish tank siphon and gravel cleaner that can do everything from spot clean to help you do a full water change. Quick and easy to use, the polyethylene squeeze pump can help suck out whatever you don’t want floating around in your tank in seconds – or clear 30L of water in just a few minutes.
19. A lizard leash (with DRAGON WINGS!) perfect for taking your bearded dragon out to see the world. Made of soft leather, it’s super comfortable for lizards to wear; additionally, the nylon rope, stainless-steel swivel link, and aluminum buckle are all non-toxic and safe for your scaly friend. Oh, and the harness is adjustable, meaning that as your lizard grows, the leash will grow along with it.
20. A pet water fountain topped with a cute li’l removeable flower decoration that’ll keep your cats and dogs hydrated with filtered, running water at all times of the day and night. Despite its compact design, this fountain packs an impressive capacity of 2.5 liters. Also, when the water level is low, the pump shuts off and the light turns red, letting you know that it’s time to refill. Talk about smart!
21. A cat litter collecting mat, because who has time to vacuum the floor around the litter box every single time your cat does their business? The honeycomb shapes embedded in the top layer of this two-layered mat helps trap all the litter particles that make their way outside the box; then you can just open up the mat and dump out everything stuck in there with ease.
22. A fur rake that’s so effective, it combs a whole ‘nother pet off your actual pet every time you use it. This simple tool has dual heads – one for stubborn tangles and one for thinning and de-shedding voluminous fur – but remains gentle on your dog’s or cat’s skin, making sure your long- or medium-haired furry friend’s coat looks healthy and as close to shampoo-commercial-hair-perfect as possible.
23. A bottle of Nature’s Miracle deodorizing small animal cage cleaner that’ll help you keep your little companion’s abode squeaky clean (pun intended – sorry, not sorry). The formula doesn’t just mask smells; it works to eliminate them entirely for a much more thorough deodorizing effect. It’s also super effective on caked-on mess, because, uh, pets are messy. That is a fact. But less so with this stuff on hand!
24. And some aspen wood small animal bedding with odor control abilities, because once you’ve de-stank-ified your pet’s home, you want to keep it that way, right? This natural hardwood bedding gives your hamster, guinea pig, rabbit, or snake a cozy place to burrow while keeping smells at bay.
25. A bottle of pet eye rinse so your doggo’s eyes can be free of tear-staining and other goop. The boric acid in this rinse fights both bacteria and irritation, and it’s gentle and safe for even the most sensitive of puppy eyes.
26. A pet booster seat that will keep anxious or excitable pups calm on your next big car journey. This plush, padded booster seat is as comfortable as a pet bed – but it fastens securely to the car’s own seat using the seat belt, and includes a hook to clip to your pet’s harness to keep them secure, as well. Who wouldn’t want to drive around town in a seat as cushy as this one?
27. A tangle-free retractable leash so you and your doggo can enjoy the great outdoors together, safely and securely. This option has a “brake ‘n lock” system that uses a push-button control to switch between “free mode,” locked mode, and reel-it-in mode, giving your pup some freedom while you maintain control. With a 16-foot lead, it's good for dogs of up to 110 pounds – and as an extra plus, it also comes with a few bonuses, like a poop bag dispenser, a a small, travel-friendly water bowl, and an LED light to brighten up your way.
28. A pair of collapsible pet bowls that will make sure your pet stays fed and watered, no matter where your adventures take you both. They pop open when you need them and fold back up again when you’re done – and since they’re made of silicon, they’re super easy to clean. Plus, they come equipped with carabiners so you can latch ‘em on to your belt, your backpack, or even just your leash handle.
29. A feathered cat toy, because honestly, the classics are classic for a reason. My cats have so many toys, some of which are very high tech – but the one toy they always come back to is the feather on a string tied to a stick. Simple. Effective. Cat-approved. And hey, if your cats tear feathers to shreds as quickly as mine do, this particular version of this toy comes with four replacement feather heads.
30. And some extra large pee pads, because, I mean, no, they’re not exciting, but YES, they are ABSOLUTELY INDISPENSIBLE if you’ve just brought home a new friend. These highly reviewed ones have five super absorbent layers and can hold up to 9 cups of liquid – exactly what you need to keep any accidents off your floors.
The reviews for this post have been edited for length and clarity.