2. Not everything else, though.
Listen, as fun as it is to watch cities crumble, there’s been an awful lot of destruction porn in theaters recently. (Remember when Metropolis was decimated and millions of people died? Spoilers.) The humans should be savvier in an Independence Day sequel. Maybe they strike first.
3. President Thomas Whitmore making a killing on the lecture circuit.
No speech has ever made any of us feel more patriotic. Give this man a lot of money and let him inspire tomorrow’s leaders. This will be especially useful when they have to take up arms against the next alien invasion.
8. The redemption of James Rebhorn.
Do you even remember that his character’s name was Albert Nimziki? No, you just remember that he was a dick. Anyway, he already got fired. Let’s have him do some actual good in the sequel to atone for his past transgressions. Alternately, he could keep being a dick and die horribly.
9. Mae Whitman has a major role.
Yeah, she voiced Katara. She also stars on Parenthood and was Ann (her?) in Arrested Development. The offspring of Thomas Whitmore has to turn into a badass, and adult Mae Whitman is up to the task. Also, she’s probably dating Dylan.
10. No Judd Hirsch.
Ultimately, he brings people together in a time of crisis, and that’s admirable. But for most of the movie, he just walks around as an offensive nebbishy stereotype that would make Jackie Mason say, “Hey, that’s a bit much.” So let’s say he died between movies. Sorry, Julius.
- Brazil's senate voted to remove Dilma Rousseff as president over a months-long corruption scandal.
- Researchers have found the first identical twin puppies ever in the dog species 🐶 🐶